first all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only recommendation I'd have is stick to something that isn't too big. That way you don't get close to maxing out your system the first time, and also will have more sparge water to rinse the grains with. With a smaller grain bill you'll have less water in the mash compared to a larger grain bill, therefore there'll be more water in your sparge and you'll get better efficiency theoretically on your first time out of the gates. (And less cost in case something goes awry.) Good luck! :mug:

My first AG was a big IPA, tasted as good or better than my favorite IPA's, had no problems. Just make sure, whatever you decide to brew, that you have everything layed out ahead of time, stick to the recipe directions, hit all your temps and times, and you should be good. Take the time to clean and sanitize everything, and don't drink too much while you are brewing. Enjoy!

I would suggest doing a porter or a stout for your first ag batch, around 10# total grain weight, for a 5 gallon batch. My first ag batch was a 5 gallon, 14.5# bill that was too big for my 5 gallon bucket and my efficiency was terrible, not to mention the grain didn't fit in the 5 gallon lauter tun. Start small and you can always work your way up. The reason I say stout/porter is because they will hide any potential mistake better than a pale ale will, for instance.

I would say do an OG 1.117 Barley wine for your first AG beer! Seriously though, keep it simple. English Bitter, American Pale Ale, American Amber, etc. Not too many grains, not too high a gravity. I think my first was a stout.

Latest posts

Back