First All Grain SMASH question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MississippiSlim

Reaction score
As stated in another post I am gearing up for my first AG brew and keeping it simple with a SMASH. I was planning a Vienna/Citra combo but was reminded by SWMBO that I have an IPA in the fermenter ready to keg and that her amber is probably gonna be gone soon sooooo......

I need some ideas for a SWMBOSMASH!!! She really likes ambers that arent too hoppy but basically just doesn't like overly bitter or hoppy beers. I think she liked ESBs if I recall. Not sure if the Vienna/citra would be something she would appreciate. What would Vienna and a British hop combo be like? Vienna/East Kent Golding or maybe a european noble hop like Tettnang or Halleteaur??

So many choices!!!!Ain't beer wonderful????

What would be yalls choice for a mild SMASH brew? I am thinking th Vienna will be the malt just need to decide on a Hop I guess

Vienna Citra would be amber-ish, would it not? Maybe a little lighter than an amber, but still. Malty and toasty. And I really like citra. I put a blonde in the fermenter a couple of weekends ago that was 100% citra hopped ("hop bursting" put everything in at 30 min or less). While I was waiting for the whirlpool to spin down, my wife said, "That smells wonderful. I usually don't get what you see in hops. But now I can understand why people become hopheads."

My Citra blonde is my favorite warm weather beer and I did the same hop bursting technique. But SWMBO says "too hoppy"! LOL! Heck, might try citra. I probly won't make a decision til I am at the LHBS and might chnge my mind 5 times there....Possibly buy several varieties and decide on brew day.

Hop bursting is how I am slowly but surely trying to turn SWMBO into a hop head. I am getting her used to the aroma without the bitterness first.

Back