First All Grain Recipe mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trojan

Reaction score
So my first all grain batch was to be an amber ale, well it was supposed to be. I looked up a few recipe threads here and other places online and found one that I thought would be fairly good and easy.
8lbs 2 row
1 lb of crystal
.5lb of chocolate malt
1ozChinook at 60 minutes
1oz Williamette at flame out

My issues started with my local HBS has prepackaged 1lb Chocolate malt bags. Since I am rather cheap I didn't like the idea of storing .5lb of unused malt so I decided to just scale up the other malts to compensate. My recipe consisted of:

12lbs of 2 rowMaris Otter
1lb of Crystal 60
1lb of Crystal 80
1lb of Chocolate malt
1oz of Chinook(60min)
1oz of Williamette(flameout)

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1488338208.634387.jpg

As you can see, my amber came out a bit dark but pretty tasty. I have learned to be careful with the Chocolate malts but also even a mistake can turn out pretty great.

Not sure how anything amber would result from the original recipe with 8 oz of chocolate either.

After seeing and tasting my results I am not sure how either. I rebrewed it without the Chocolate and it is much closer in color at least. I will know a few weeks about the flavor.

Latest posts

Back