First All-Grain major complication

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hpz937

Reaction score
So I did my first all grain today, surly bender. everything was going fairly well. I knew my efficiency was going to be low since I was dialing in my new corona mill and about half of it was too coarsely crushed. end up at 60%. boil and all that went fine threw the new diy immersion chiller in, got down to about 100f in about 15 min. I checked on it about 5 min later and was at 80 which seemed a bit too low, pulled the cover off to use my other thermometer and noticed I had about an extra gallon of wort, my chiller sprung a leak. I took a hydrometer reading and I was at 1.038 which was my pre-boil reading, my target was 1.057. Aside from possible infection from the garden hose water, how is this going to turn out?

I pitched my yeast already and am hoping for the best.

Time will tell. Garden hose water definitely has a smell to it though.

it's going to be a low ABV beer. unless your water source is filthy i doubt you will get an infection from tap water.

where did the chiller leak from, a hole in the copper or from the hose connections?

compression fittings are the way to go in the long run because hose clamps are prone to leaking.

I think i may just solder the hose connectors on like the store bought models and not have to think about it.

Too late now but I wonder what would have happened if you had simply put it back in the kettle, straining the hops out, and boiled it again for an hour or so to get to your intended OG?

Too late now but I wonder what would have happened if you had simply put it back in the kettle, straining the hops out, and boiled it again for an hour or so to get to your intended OG?

honestly I was wondering that but wasnt sure what that would do to the bitterness and aroma from hops

For future reference you can always bring it back to boil before pitching the yeast and driving off the water :)

duboman said:
For future reference you can always bring it back to boil before pitching the yeast and driving off the water :)

At that point the this is a completely different different beer. I like what you propose. Maybe bring back to boil and add DME. Could be an experiment.

Just thought I'd give an update. its been about 5 weeks now and tastes very good, probably one of my best brews so far

Latest posts

Back