First all-grain in the primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartyB

Reaction score
Made the jump this morning on my first all-grain (boiling in the snow no less).

Picked Yooper's Fizzy Yellow Beer for my first.
Using the cheap/easy 10gal rubbermaid MLT

I think I hit all my temps. My floating thermo apparently went stupid, so triple checked everything with my lab thermo, boil thermo and a digital (surprisingly all except the floater read the same)
The MLT did great. Held 150 for 75 minutes.

Ended up with 71% efficiency into the primary. My calculations going into the boil were saying 76%, so I don't know where I went wrong. But doesn't matter. I'll still have beer!

Sounds great! It snowed here today, too, and was windy and cold. I'm planning on brewing on Tuesday or Wednesday, but I think I'll stay inside where it's (relatively) warm!

Let us know how it comes out. I love that beer- I drank one last night that I brewed early in the summer and it's still great!

Hey congrats on your first AG batch, Marty!!

I can't believe its snowing! I read that the Rockies/Phillies game was postponed due to snow, and I was dumbfounded.

Probably 1" of snow here in Des Moines. Luckily, gone quicker than it came.

Checked the brew this morning. Water bath is at 62 degrees. And it's kicking one bubble/second through the blowoff.

Very happy I put a blowoff tube on this batch. Fermented in my 6-gal BB and it managed to creep out. Don't want to think what it may have done if I had let it ferment at normal 70 basement temps.

All finished now. Came out even drier at 1.006.
Bottling this weekend. Really looking forward to drinking this.

beer-done.jpg

Back