First All Grain brewday in the books!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AWilliams

Reaction score
Wasn't nearly as bad as I'd feared and it went pretty smoothly as well. I was Brewing Caribou Slobber from Northern Brewer. The only minor hiccup was when strike temp ended up at 148 after mashing in. I drained a little tun water off and heated that to get to 153. Water was at 152 after one hour. I thought I had a stuck sparge but it was just my mash tun valve is a bit quirky.

Pre-boil gravity was spot on and I calculated 74% extract efficiency. My wife has been assisting with our previous extract batches, I had to run to the grocery store to buy some steaks so I let her handle the boil after first additions. It was her first time baby sitting the kettle by herself and it's great to have help like that if the need arises. I made it back just in time to add the chiller.

It is also the first time I'll be fermenting with my chamber, a chest freezer with inkbird control. Four hours after pitching I had airlock activity and this morning a thick layer of kraussen and star san bubbling out of the airlock(Thank you 2 liter starter).

So anyhow, if you're reading this and on the fence about All Grain, give it a shot. It's really not as complicated as it seems.

Congrats on your first all grain day. Glad it went smooth and yeah, Pictures!

Congrats.... i have two under the belt with a third coming up this sunday. Def more to pay attention to!

Congrats! I just did my first all grain batch in 30 years on Sunday! I muffed mash in but live and learn! I overshot 8 degrees, just added some cold water to drop it to mash in temp and called it good. Beer is a pretty forgiving critter and will tirn out well despite a bunch of mistakes!

Back