First All Grain Brew with WLP820

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkirkland

Reaction score
I brewed my FIRST All Grain Brew on Saturday. Everything worked out fairly well, i kinda was way off on my efficiency but it was my first all grain. I tried a fly sparge instead of the batch sparge. Anyways, equipment worked well....no huge surprises but i was brewing an Octoberfest beer with the White Labs 820 yeast. I have heard mixed reviews about this yeast but i used it anyways. Made a starter 2 days before brew day and then decanted and pitched it at 73 degrees. I stuck it in the fridge at 70 and let it sit.

I was a little nervous about the yeast because it never looked like the starter did much of anything, unless while i was sleeping or something. So i bought another vial of WLP820 and pitched it in straight from the vial about 1.5hrs after the primary was put in the fridge. Sunday morning i woke up an the fermenter was going about 1-2 bubbles per second. W00t..i was excited so i lowered the temp to about 56 and let it set...By today (Tuesday evening) it was at about 1 bubble every 10 seconds or so, so i couldnt help myself. I took a gravity reading and tasted the wort.

As i said at the start, my efficiency was horrible. The OG was measured at 1.035 with my temp adjustments and the FG i took today (Tuesday evening) was at 1.006.. So that sounds close to the end of the ferment process and just wanted to get some ideas on the temp or rack to secondary. I was thinking i would up the temp to about 65 for 12-24 hrs and then rack to secondary. What do you guys think?:mug:

Latest posts

Back