First all grain/BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gritchie63

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey everyone, thanks for accepting my request. I Just started my first BIAB, an ESB from Great Fermentations in Indianapolis. So far, going pretty well, about to wrap up the 60 minute mash. I didn’t do anything with the water, I have well water that tastes good. It’s what I’ve used for extract brewing. Any priming suggestions? I know I have a few weeks before I have to worry about that, but my instructions don’t cover that. Also, what should my pre boil gravity be? Thank in advance.

Any priming suggestions?
I use northern brewer or brewers friend free online calculators. Ballpark: 4-5oz table sugar for 5 gallons.

what should my pre boil gravity be?
If you post your recipe, that’ll help people guess “close”. Mash variables make this tough to answer. You’ll have to brew several batches to understand and predict what you’re getting on your system.

Also, what should my pre boil gravity be?

Gravity points (1.xxx) are constant.

2 gallons @ 1.050 reduced to 1G will be 1.100

Say you're targeting a finished 5G at 1.055 and you typically boil off .25/1hr.

5.25 * x = 5 * 55

X = 52

Pre-boil target would be 1.052

Note, this doesn't figure in temp related expansion.

Is that teh Across the Pond ESB all grain kit for Great Fermentations? If so the website has the complete instructions with teh target number.

Specs:
Estimated O.G. = 1.056
Estimated F.G. = 1.014
Estimated ABV = 5.5%
Estimated Bitterness = 45 IBU

But don't sweat out the numbers. Track them to give you an idea of trends in your brew methods and we all have unique efficiencies.
If it's not a kit, use the brew software here (if you don't have one already) and plug in the recipe and you equipment to see how it works and what you think your set up will do (like boil rates etc).

I always let gravity come out where it comes out -- no last-minute corrections with extra water or DME -- and the beer almost always comes out good regardless. Maybe it's not what I envisioned when I put the recipe together; for example, I had a brown ale that came out as more of a dark mild, and a tripel that was more like a table beer. Take measurements, take notes, correct for the next batch, and it'll be dialed in in no time.

It's fine not to mess with your water, and it will come out well unless it's quite hard: hard water will work for extract, but in a mash you'll end up with a high pH and the possibility of extracting astringent tannins. If your beer has a sucking-on-a-teabag mouthfeel to it, water is the thing to fix.

I always let gravity come out where it comes out -- no last-minute corrections with extra water or DME -- and the beer almost always comes out good regardless. Maybe it's not what I envisioned when I put the recipe together; for example, I had a brown ale that came out as more of a dark mild, and a tripel that was more like a table beer. Take measurements, take notes, correct for the next batch, and it'll be dialed in in no time.
I agree but... ISTM that you still want to know what the target gravity and volume is at each step so you know what needs dialing in.

I agree but... ISTM that you still want to know what the target gravity and volume is at each step so you know what needs dialing in.
If you want a full understanding of conversion efficiency, lauter efficiency, mash efficiency, and brewhouse efficiency, then yes, you should take SG and volume readings at all steps (all values corrected to room temp.) Once you know what your typical efficiencies and volumes are, you can use those, along with your recipe, to predict SGs and volumes at all points in your process.

But, if you just want to brew some beer, you don't have to measure much of anything.

Either of these extremes, or anywhere in between is acceptable. It's your hobby, do it your way.

Personally, I like to understand how all the measurements and processes fit together, but I'm not totally anal about always taking precise measurements. I do take enough measurements to know what I end up with, and be able to plan future brews.

Brew on :mug:

But, if you just want to brew some beer, you don't have to measure much of anything.
True. Unfortunately, I've learned far too much about brewing by hanging out here for a few months, and now I can't let myself do it that way anymore. :(

And FWIW, the OP did specifically ask what his pre-boil gravity should be, so there's that.

Is that teh Across the Pond ESB all grain kit for Great Fermentations? If so the website has the complete instructions with teh target number.

Specs:
Estimated O.G. = 1.056
Estimated F.G. = 1.014
Estimated ABV = 5.5%
Estimated Bitterness = 45 IBU

But don't sweat out the numbers. Track them to give you an idea of trends in your brew methods and we all have unique efficiencies.
If it's not a kit, use the brew software here (if you don't have one already) and plug in the recipe and you equipment to see how it works and what you think your set up will do (like boil rates etc).
Yes, it is the across the pond from GF. Will be attempting again this weekend, as I had a major brain fart. In attempting to cool my wort, I threw in some sanitized ice packs, one of which had a pin hole. Picked up another kit yesterday, and tossed what I had. Every thing was going so well, up until then lol. Lesson learned. Thank you for your input,

Thanks everyone for the help. I had to toss said batch due to a pin hole in an ice pack( I know, keep ice packs on the outside of the pot) lesson learned. Plan on another attempt this weekend. Will utilize the advice then. Thanks again.

Back