First AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgcaudle

Reaction score
Well, it's done. I made a real simple red ale for my first AG batch. Everything went very well using BeerSmith. I have to say that everything was right on with BeerSmith (temps and SG's).

10# 2-Row PaleMalt
.75# Biscuit Malt
.75# Caramel Malt 60L
.13# Roasted Barley
1.5oz Cascade(60 Min)
1.ooz Cascade(20 Min)
1.5oz Cascade(0 Min)
Safale 56

Here's some pics...

http://www.afco.us/brewphoto/displayimage.php?album=random&cat=0&pos=-5

Almost everything went smoothly, but I know what I have to do for next time. Main lesson: GET AN IMMERSION COOLER!!! I had one but could not find it so I used an ice bath which took way too long.

Congratulations, I began about 2 months ago and for one thing my beers are much clearer. I am itching to brew all the time but there is this thing called work which gets in the way.:D

I forgot to heat up my sparge water until 10 minutes prior. So, I ended up mashing for almost 90 min. Then I realized I heated my sparge water to boiling and didn't need it that hot. So, I had to cool it back down to just about 170.
I really like the safale...it started producing bubbles within a few hours. It's goin to town as we speak.
Also my HLT was leasking slightly at boiling water temperature (my mistake), and my mash tun was leaking very slightly at the end of the sparge.
But I know what to fix now. Soon it will be so easy I won't know how I lived without AG.

Also, does anyone have any input on carbonation?
I wanted to force carb some for my keg, but sugar prime the other for bottles (for others to taste). Is there a specific amount you can put in each bottle for carbonating or are you stuck adding sugar to all of it? I was hoping for about 10 bottles of brew and the rest kegged.

How does one get the best of both worlds...

Back