first AG with sparge arm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wshymas

Reaction score
Iam almost done with my first ag batch with a phils sparger. The first runnings tested at 1.057 and the runnings closer to the end are 1.016. After mixing both runnings 1.031.pre-boil. with about 7.5 gal of wort. Man I like the sparge arm better then batch sparging. It did take longer but it should be worth it. I will up date in a few hours after clean up. thanks

just cooled the wort and the SG is 1.040. this is the thired stout that I have done. I will post the recipe later, to see what you think.

Here is the stout that I just tried.
8# of Pale Malt
6 Oz of Black Patent Malt
12 Oz of Roasted Barley
10 Oz of Flaked Barley
8 Oz of Flaked oats

1 oz Challenger
1/4 oz Fuggle

white labs Irish stout
I am hoping that the Flaked Barley and oats will give the beer a thick head.
Head is GOOD!!!!!
:D

wshymas said:
Iam almost done with my first ag batch with a phils sparger. The first runnings tested at 1.057 and the runnings closer to the end are 1.016. After mixing both runnings 1.031.pre-boil. with about 7.5 gal of wort. Man I like the sparge arm better then batch sparging. It did take longer but it should be worth it. I will up date in a few hours after clean up. thanks

How much heat loss did you experience? I noticed with mine that I lose heat in a hurry. I adjusted the Sparge temp to compensate.

I'm making my first attempt at a all grain on Friday and I will using a Phil's sparge Arm myself. I hope all is well. I'll be making an Irish Red Ale. Wish me luck and any advise on sparging would be helpful.

4day4me :)

I've used the Phil's Sparge Arm for every all grain brew I have done and it has always worked well. It occurred to me on my last session to put as much sparge water directly into the Mash/Lauter tun as will fit before I set up the sparge arm. I heat the water to about 175 and when it is mixed into the mash it brings it up to over 160. Then I heat the rest of the sparge water to 190 degrees. I figure when it travels through the tubing and sprays out of the arm it looses quite a bit of heat. It seemed to work well for me. I got good extraction. One side benifit that I didn't think about until I did it was that I only had about 2 or 3 gallons of sparge water to lift over the Mash/Lauter tun.

I suspect it is hard for him to tell at this point considering its his first shot at it. It is alot of fun watching the thing though.

I think that is one of the best parts is the roundy round of the arm. the last two batch's I did were between 70-72% (pro mash) and this one was 78% (pro mash).
but this is three different grain bills and if I put in the right numbers into the computer. water is the biggest thing that will mess my numbers up but that is part of the fun. Also it seemed like I Had more control of the batch. and don't forget Relax have a home brew. one more thing I also used a Phil's false bottom on this batch, I was using a 8 IN piece of stainless steal line be for.

Back