First AG tonight!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooter13

Reaction score
Question to the AG Brew-Gods on HBT...

Nite went well...Got to the boil and because of space limitations, I had to do a split pot boil...(I did a considerable amount of research prior to tonight...to mixed reviews I might add) My concern is in the "split-boil" part...

I wasn't sure, but I did an equal mix of first run-off vs sparge run-off in both pots, and halfed my hops as well...all to get a 6gal boil...

Everything I have read, you supposedly get this wicked hot-break with AG vs Extract, but mine tonight was kinda lame...is this any indication of anything? I've actually came close with some extract batches to flaming out...particularly when hopping...but this was pretty mild...

BTW, I'm brewing an English Brown...Batched-sparged as well (first batch with limited equipment...)

s:mug:

Don't worry have a home brew! hehe

I would nto worry about your hot break, sounds like you got everythign under control. I've done some all grain, but my system is lame, so I am back to extract. Until I can set aside the money to do it right.

I just drank a AG vs and Extract I made back to back, the AG just tasted so much better. Subtle but never the less.

ok...took my OG...came in at 072....Recipe was calling for 050...Does this have anything to due with my mashing temps or times?

I thought I really follow everything to a tee...This isn't a bad thing, but I am just confused...

any help appreciated...

not necessarily bad...did you check the temp when you checked the gravity? Most, if not all, hydrometers are calibrated to 60 degrees. You can read at higher temps, but you have to compensate for it.
Also, check what your efficiency should be. I'm guessing you're using some type of software. Both pro mash and beer smith give the anticipated OG based on a specific efficiency (usually 75%). I'm not familiar with Beer Smith, but I know you can adjust things in pro mash to determine efficiency based on your OG or vice versa.
Either way, I'm sure it'll turn out fine.

Bad Shark Brew said:
not necessarily bad...did you check the temp when you checked the gravity? Most, if not all, hydrometers are calibrated to 60 degrees. You can read at higher temps, but you have to compensate for it.
Also, check what your efficiency should be. I'm guessing you're using some type of software. Both pro mash and beer smith give the anticipated OG based on a specific efficiency (usually 75%). I'm not familiar with Beer Smith, but I know you can adjust things in pro mash to determine efficiency based on your OG or vice versa.
Either way, I'm sure it'll turn out fine.

Yea...that was the compensated reading...The OG was based on a 72% efficiency...I got about an extra # of 2-row... knowing I would be batch-sparging...But even with that compensated for, it still was supposed to come in at 050...

BUT.........I screwed up with my water amounts, so I ended up short (common mistake I was hoping to avoid with good prep...) I had to add to my fermentation.....so anything gained on my efficiency was shot to hell with adding a gallon of good ole H2O in the end anyways....LOL

Still really fun brew though...I doubt I'll ever back to extract now...

Are you saying that you took the reading and then added a gallon of water? If so you are likely close to what you intended.

yep....we may have crossed posts...

I'm sure now I'm a lot closer to the call-out OG after adding a gal of H2O....I'm just spent after whole brewing process and bagged the reading...just closed the lid and called it a night...

I'll grab a reading tomorrow and post back...

:D

If you going to keep doing all grain brewing then it would be a good idea to get some brewing software. It helps a great deal in formulation, dealing with efficiencies, and taking notes. It takes a time or three to get your system dialed in.

Blender said:
If you going to keep doing all grain brewing then it would be a good idea to get some brewing software. It helps a great deal in formulation, dealing with efficiencies, and taking notes. It takes a time or three to get your system dialed in.

LOL...I did use Beersmith!!! I just don't know exactly how to use it efficiently yet...But I hear ya...it's a really nice package, and it did get me most of the way there...

I think ur last comment is more what the problem was...I just need to get my system and techniques dialed in...probably take a time or three as you said...

I'm positive I got some great brew on the way, but was kinda baffled with my gravity reading...if anything I would have anticipated it being too low...regardless of me ending up short on wort volume, that should have nothing to do with specific gravity right?

I don't have Beersmith but it should allow you to lower your batch size ( let's say from 5 to 4 gallons ) and then your gravity should adjust to lower volume as well, as long as the ingredients stay the same. You likely had a more concentrated wort because of reduced volume that when boiled off produced the higher gravity.

Well now I am a little concerned cause I have zero fermentation activity...:confused:

Not hittin the panic button just yet, but this is the first batch that I have ever done that after 12 hours or so to not have any activity yet...Maybe my thinking is off, but I would have thought a higher gravity beer would ferment quicker with more action???

Oh well...I will watch for another day or so and then go from there...

:mad:

You never mentioned the type of yeast and whether you aerated the wort well. I have had batches take 18 hours or so to get going so you're all good.

I felt like a first time brewer all over again when I did my first AG batch... I was positive I had messed up something and fermentation would NEVER start. I relaxed. It started bubbling. Proof a watched pot does boil!

And the taste when I transferred to secondary was amazing: like someone said earlier SUBTLE, but great. I doubt I will go back. I had too much fun! :ban:

I think SWMBO is worried... hang in there!

chefmike said:
I felt like a first time brewer all over again when I did my first AG batch... I was positive I had messed up something and fermentation would NEVER start. I relaxed. It started bubbling. Proof a watched pot does boil!

And the taste when I transferred to secondary was amazing: like someone said earlier SUBTLE, but great. I doubt I will go back. I had too much fun! :ban:

I think SWMBO is worried... hang in there!

LOL....That is EXACTLY what I felt like...

BTW, we do now have bubbles...moved the fermenter to a little warmer part of the house and...voila....first time using this yeast, but the 4 deg difference in temp seemed to get things rolling.

Back