First AG stuck in Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muddylars

Reaction score
Hi I just transfered my first 5 batch of AG ( Noople Tucker Weizen, from the Joy of homebrewing) on saturday. The fermatation took off really well in teh Primary, I transfered to the secondary when tehre was almost no activity in the primary. ITs been two days now (transfered on the 28th) and i have seen no activity in the secondary. The book seems to say i should see some activity... What should i do now, wait it out, or go right to bottling. Thanks a lot!
-Lars

I took the SG while transferring and it seemed quite low (1.008) I failed to take the OG becasue we lost power while i was finishing up the batch....

It's not stuck. It's done fermenting! I'm not sure why the book says that but most of us don't expect to see any activity in the secondary. You wouldn't want it to go any further than that really. You can give it a couple of days in the secondary to let some yeast settle out so you don't have 1/4" in every bottle, but otherwise being a weizen there's no need to wait too long. Bottle it up and drink it!

Wait it out. Generally, if you're talking about the air lock, there isn't any bubbling in the secondary. Most of your active fermentation should be complete by the time you transfer to the secondary. That's not to say that fermentation CAN start up again in secondary, but the main purpose of the secondary is to clear the beer. Hope this helps.

Sounds done to me you really shouldn't be fermenting in the secondary anyways secondaries are for clarifying and aging.

Your beer is done. Let it age a few weeks to clear up and then get it bottled so you can drink it!!

what book? I'm curious.

but yes, your primary should always be at least a full 7 days, and you don't move it until its DONE fermenting. The airlock won't tell you if its done. You MUST use a hydrometer...otherwise you're just guessing that its done.

thanks a lot for the replies. Ill let it sit for a bit more in the secondary and bottle it up (or maybe attempt my first kegging as well) The book i was using is called The Complete Joy of Home Brewing by Charlie Papazian. thanks again,
-Lars

Back