First AG build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

excaptn

Reaction score
I just finished building my first mash tun and am about ready to go all grain and then strated reading about how many people have issues with stuck sparges using a SS braid... I have a 10 g beverage cooler using a 12" 1/2 braid. Should I tear it out and build a manifold?

I have a very similar setup to yours. What I did was brace the SS braid with some galvinized steel wire. I wrapped the wire around a pencil and just slid it into my braid. So far it's worked perfectly well and I haven't had a single stuck sparge.

I'd try it first before building a manifold. There are many people using them without any problems. I've also heard that the stainless steel braids for water heaters (1" diameter) are much stronger and would be less prone to collapsing under a heavy grain bed. I have the same setup as you and it worked just fine (only done 1 brew on it though).

I used a braid for about 10 batches. First few batches went very well, then I started getting inconsistent results in terms of yield and/or efficiency and a couple of stuck sparges.

I built a copper manifold on Saturday and brewed with it on Sunday. It worked like a champ. No tilting of MLT required and it sucked it dry.

Go ahead and use the braid but pay attention that it is not floating up into your grain bed and keep an eye on your efficiency as you continue to use it. And be ready to tilt.

Never used a braid but my homemade CPVC manifold is great. Tried it today with a new 10 gallon MLT and I got 80% eff. Never had a stuch sparge. Easy to build too.

I've got the same setup and have used it on only 2 batches so far, but I've done a witbier and a strong scotch ale, so light or dark, wheat or no, large amount of malt or small, I've had no problems with it... so far!;)

Just did my first batch AG this past weekend. I have a SS braid in my MT, and it worked like a champ.

What I did to keep it from floating is I stretched out one end of the braid and stuck the head plug into the expanded braid and folded the frayed ends of the braid back into the braid/plug.

In the meantime, using the SS braid will allow you to go AG while saving some cash for other things that you need for your brewery.

Back