First ag batch, help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghank15

Reaction score
So I'm doing my first ag batch as we speak. I used an online mash calc to find my strike temp, it said 166.

I added my grain to the 166 water and the temp is now 147.5. Is this ok? I know it will be on the dryer side, but will I still convert into ferment able sugars?

If it makes any difference, here's my grain bill(in pounds)

5 Vienna
2 Munich
3 pilsner
.5 caramunich 1
.5 crystal 55

What kind of style were you shooting for? What was your target mash temp? The 147.5 will still make beer for sure, but it will be different than what you would have gotten if you hit the target. My first (and currently only) AG batch I overshot my temp by about 6 degrees. I didn't want to over-complicate things on my first go, so I just let it be and continued as if it was right. Everything else that day worked perfectly, so I didn't sweat it. The FG ended up a little higher than expected, but it still tasted great.

You will probably end up with a lower FG than expected, but it will be fine. I say go with it, take good notes on what you did, learn something from it and make it better on the next batch.

What mash temp were you shooting for?

If it was 148F-149F I'd say you're right where you need to be. If it was 154F-158F, you're way off and you need to add some hot water.

Yes you will still convert.

It's a Vienna style lager, and I was shooting for 152, because I prefer dryer beers.

Thanks, it makes me feel good that I'll still get conversion. In case my efficiency is low, I do have some dme as backup

It's a Vienna style lager, and I was shooting for 152, because I prefer dryer beers.

Thanks, it makes me feel good that I'll still get conversion. In case my efficiency is low, I do have some dme as backup

I don't think it will be a problem.

MALT> M=more A=alcohol L=lower T=temperature

147 dF will certainly convert and if you like drier beers leave it alone. You could always take out some mash water, heat it up and add it back to the mash to increase the temp as well

147 dF will certainly convert and if you like drier beers leave it alone. You could always take out some mash water, heat it up and add it back to the mash to increase the temp as well

+1. And then it's not only your first all grain, but your first decoction mash :rockin:

My guess for hitting too low is you didn't preheat your mash tun.

Ok, so I mashed at 147.5. I then brewed as usual. My OG was 1.051. I was aiming for 1.053. So I'll consider this a very successful first attempt. Thanks for all the help.

Back