First AG batch complete!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hemsworth

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I finally received my new Barley Crusher and burners and attempted my first all grain batch yesterday. I chose Neal's Kolsch for the attempt and I must say I was pretty happy with the results.

I hit 69% eff. which is pretty decent I think considering I forgot to stir the mash while batch sparging. I was also a little shy in my post boil volume. I hit 1.050 on the nose but then added another 1/2 gallon of water to the carboy to top it up.

Another boo-boo was after adding the grains to the strike water my temps wre a little high (155) so I added some cold water but it dropped to 149. So I just let the mash go for 90 minutes instead of 60.

I don't post much as all of my questions were easily answered with a little searching. Anyway...I just wanted to heave a big thanks to all of you guys here. You are an invaluable source of info!

Back