First AG and trying to figure out batch sparging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lotusworker

Reaction score
I am planning my first AG brew. I get the batch sparging technique and want to keep is simple, but still trying to wrap my head about strike volumes and what to add to get 6.5 to 7 gallons of wort to boil.

Can anyone help? I basically only want to do 1 addition of water after i let it sit. I figure that adding 3.5 gallons as strike will result in about 2.5 after i drain it. So do I put another 4.5 gallons in to get about 6.5 to 7 gallons of wort.

Here is my recipe so far

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (7.5 gal) and Igloo Cooler (10 Gal)
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.75 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 50.00 %
3.25 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 28.26 %
1.25 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 10.87 %
1.25 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 10.87 %
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (45 min) Hops 8.1 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (10 min) Hops 3.2 IBU
0.25 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
0.25 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
0.40 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Belgian Wit Ale (White Labs #WLP400) Yeast-Wheat

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.055 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.51 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 11.3 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 3.7 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body Total Grain Weight: 11.50 lb
Sparge Water: 3.02 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

You'll get whatever you put into the sparge out. In other words, if you sparge with 3.5 gallons, you'll get 3.5 gallons out. You 'lose' water in the mash, since you're adding water to dry grain which will suck up a decent amount of water. Once the sparging step comes around, the grain have already sucked up all the water they're going to, so they won't 'steal' any of your sparge water.

The batch I did last night had 12lbs of grain. Used four gallons for my strike then sparged with 4 more gallons. Ended up with about 6.5 gallons for the boil.

You'll get whatever you put into the sparge out. In other words, if you sparge with 3.5 gallons, you'll get 3.5 gallons out. You 'lose' water in the mash, since you're adding water to dry grain which will suck up a decent amount of water. Once the sparging step comes around, the grain have already sucked up all the water they're going to, so they won't 'steal' any of your sparge water.

This is correct. So just drain your tun and figure out what you need for boil vol.

If you get 3 gal from your first runnings, put in 4 gal. Sparge water

With an 11.5# grain bill you will want to mash with between 14.4 and 17.25 qts of water (3.6 and 4.1 gallons)

Figure on around 0.5 qts per pound of grain absorbed and you should lose about 1.43 gallons.

So you would end up with 2.2 to 2.7 gallons of first runnings.

Then as mentioned above, just sparge with whatever volume of water you need to get to your preboil volume.

Easy as that.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks all. I guess using Beersmith (or my lack of how to use it) got me all confused as far as which one to pick to get volumes and temps. It only showed volumes for initial batch. I think I need to add another step to it.

Back