First 5 gallon batch!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmoe25027

Reaction score
Hi all! So a few days ago I put my first 'from scratch' recipe up here which was basically a mish-mash of ingredients to use up my 2 remaining Mr Beer cans of mix. I got some great feedback on that and appreciate the help. But, a lot of my ingredients were ordered online and will not be delivered till next week so when I came into some unexpected funds on Tuesday, I decided to go shopping! On this trip I added my first carboy(6.5ga) with stopper, a carboy dryer, a huge funnel with strainer, 2 Michigan Brewing Company pint glasses, a mixed six pack of previously mentioned breweries beer, and a brewers best imperial blonde recipe kit to hold me over till the rest of my crap gets delivered. So here is how brew day went (Wednesday)

The plan was to go completely by the instructions, but my interperetation of them said that they were wrong (I know, I sound like a teenager right?). First thing I noticed was that one of my wort additions was to be a pound of corn sugar, in reference to Mr. Palmer's book this is a no no, so I nixed that and subbed a pound of sparkling amber DME. The corn sugar thing also ticked me off a little because this is supposed to be a premium kit, but maybe in hindsight it was part of the style and I should/could have let it slide.

Next was the steeping grains. The instuctions said to steep 1lb for 20 minutes in 2.5 gallons of water. Once again, from Mr. Palmer, this is too much water, so I started my 2.5 gallon boil in my brewpot and started a pot with 3/4 gallon of water to steep in, and then upped the steeping time to 30 minutes.

The final big change I made was the order of extract editions to the boil. Once my steeped grain wort was added to the main boil, the instructions said to add all of the pilsen LME 6.6lb and the corn sugar, then 40 minute boil, add the Wheat DME, then finish the boil with hop additions throughout. I have also heard that the longer you boil LME the darker it will get so what I did was added the wheat DME and the subbed amber DME, then boiled for 40 minutes, then added the pilsen LME with 20 minutes left to go. Oh yeah, I added some orange zest with 10 minutes left in the boil too.

All in all, brew day went well, my wife supplied an extra pair of hands when needed, and my kids touched relatively little of my sanitized equipment. The only major blunder was that I jammed the f'ing stopper through the top of my carboy, that was a joyous moment! I know I should just RDWHAHB, but I don't have any yet! So I did some deep breathing and cracked a Leffe Blonde instead, covered the top with sanitized foil and went online and ordered 3 universal carboy bungs!

So, I hope that I did not ruin this beer with my sub's and total disregard of authority, and I will probably not do any kits for a while, just find recipes online or make my own, but all in all, I am pretty happy. Thanks for listening and sorry for the jumbo sized post!

Cheers,
Collin

collin,

i did the same thing when i started. i'd get a kit and make it my own. it definitely is a way to familarize quickly with ingredients.

based on you having an imperial blonde kit, i'm going to generalize on its style:

1. imperial= higher malt bill= higher alcohol content. imperial also= hoppy imperial usually also= oak flavor
2. blonde= blonde

so first things first, the corn sugar. i disagree with john palmer, though i respect his book. i've made some good beers with sugar added to boil. corn sugar is meant to lighten body and add alcohol content. being a blonde ale, you're looking for a lighter body. by replacing it with sparkling amber extract, you added something darker and maltier. i think that this in itself will alter the final taste of your beer. please note that nothing i am saying is going to say that your beer will be bad- actually it will probably be quite good- but it's not going to be a blonde.

palmer is right about LME getting darker the longer you boil it. but i don't know why he says to steep much less water for the grains. i steep my grains in all of my water at a 140-150 temp for 20-30 mins before boiling and adding extracts.

keep us posted. also, if you could post your recipe i can run it and let you know what your final alcohol content, ibus, color etc will be.

Congrats on your first batch! I am thinking that you are going to have a great beer on your hands. The only problem I have with anything you did is the foil on top of the carboy. It can easily blow off once fermentation starts. Trust me, it will create a lot of CO2. However, once it starts to ferment, the amount of CO2 produced will make it nearly impossible for anything harmful or otherwise to get in there. All I would recommend is keep an eye on it and if krausen starts to rise to far, then wrap it in something you don't mind getting dirty. Enjoy! All in all, good job, it looks tasty!

Hi all, thanks for the replies! So as far as the tin foil, by Saturday morning I had it replaced with a bung and airlock. Krausen is about 3-4 inches thick and the airlock is bubbling nicely! The more I read, the more I realized I should have just left the corn sugar alone, but oh well, it's my beer now.

The recipe that I used was 6.6lb Pilsen LME, in the boil for about 20 minutes, 1pm honey grain steeped at 155-165 for 30 minutes, 1lb wheat dme and 1lb sparkling amber dme in boil for full hour. The hops were 1oz brewers gold for 1 hour, .5 oz cascade for 20 minutes then another .5 oz for 10 minutes. Yeast was safale 05, pitched straight in. My og was 1.062 which is a little lower than the kit instructions. Total boil was 3.25 gallons then brought up to a little over the 5 gallon measure on the carboy.

Thanks again for the replies!

Cheers,
Collin

Back