First 10G Batch, Ahhh!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KavDaven

Reaction score
Today is BREW DAY on my first ever 10G brew. Just wanted to challenge myself. 5G brews though fun, just aren't offering much in challenges like they used to. I'm not constantly trying to correct some mistake or worse a mis-perception.

First off, I've read the posts and reviewed the pictures of set ups with way more planning and lots more expense than my own. Usually, I'm either envious or just laugh at the overboard needless setup. In my humble opinion, it seemed like quite a few people had systems that were simply too much for a homebrew. Sort of like driving a lamborghiny to work when a ford ranger gets you to work just fine.

I don't hold that opinion anymore.

First off, 10G batches require twice or more water than a 5G batch. Unbeknownst to me, water gets heavier in greater volumes. Now I want SS bulkheads on my kettles and march pumps, all on a brewstand with wheels.

Because, my day so far, has been moving water from the lauter to the mash tun with a SS 2.5 liter pot from the kitchen while standing on bradford pear stump (which my wife will put on a lathe one day).

My first problem of the day is temperture in the mash tun, I want 156F but as I move thermapen around in the mash, I keep getting different readouts. So, I took 2L at a time to the kitchen to heat up to 180F and pour back into the mash. Did this twice before I got an average 156F. Still I have hot spots and cool spots.

Now I want a system to re-circulate my mash to get a constant temp throughout the mash.

Ya! I hear ya matey! Every single time I have changed up my routine or added a new piece of equipment I created a new learning curve for myself ( ;

Which coincidentally created a desire for yet another piece of equipment LOL!

Back