Firearms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FastAndy said:
IMHO you just answered your question. I would take the PF9 for those same exacy reasons, mainly that its a bigger round than a .380

For what its worth you can conceal a full frame handgun if you dress to conceal. I can hide my Glock 22 in a tuckable holster just fine so a 1911 wouldnt be any harder.

I fully agree, concealing a full framed gun can certainly be done. But, for the record, I'm a pretty small guy, 5'7" 135lbs. So I don't really have the body frame to conceal that big of a handgun, and is wearing a sweater in July considered concealed carry? :)

I carry a 1911 officer (small 3" barrel model) in the winter. it is heavy but very thin and easily concealed. but if your looking for a pocket carry in 9mm kel-tec pf9 or kahr cm9 would be your best choices, with the kahr being the more refined firearm. buds has the kahr for 377 and kel-tecs can be found for around 300.

sonex said:
I carry a 1911 officer (small 3" barrel model) in the winter. it is heavy but very thin and easily concealed. but if your looking for a pocket carry in 9mm kel-tec pf9 or kahr cm9 would be your best choices, with the kahr being the more refined firearm. buds has the kahr for 377 and kel-tecs can be found for around 300.

I've seen the Kahrs and people do speak very highly of them, good call. I'm going to do some research on them and see what I find out. Also, you can find the Kel Tecs for quite a bit under 300 if you look around. Budsguns is great, but cheaperthandirt is where it's at.

Okay I need help.

I've decided I'm buying my cm concealed carry pistol next week and am having the hardest time deciding.

My choices:
-Taurus 738
-Kel Tec PF9
-Taurus 709

I like the price of the 708, but ammos more expensive and it seems almost too small. (If you know me, you know I have a strange Napoleon Complex, and would CC a 1911 if I thought I could do so). Then there's the PF9, a bit more expensive, cheaper ammo and more stopping power, everything I've read, people love this gun. Lastly, I've only been looking a little bit at the Taurus 709, a little bigger (back to the Napolean Complex), still cheap ammo, but averagely $75 more than the PF9.

I've held the 738, but not the PF9, nor the 709, and none of the local shops have them that I could hold and get a feel for.

So, does anyone have any experience with the above firearms they could lend an opinion? I've read quite a few reviews on 738 vs PF9, but very very little on 709.

Edit: I'm open to other options, but, I'm not a huge Glock guy, so I'm not open to those and I already have a SW40VE if I plan to carry anything larger, so 9mm is pretty as large a caliber I want to go.
I carried a G27 for years, just got a PF9 and put about 200rds through it and had about 10% FTE eject, so its back at Kel-Tec getting tweaked. I really liked it, but being my carry weapon I cant have any issues. So my glock is back as my go to, one thing with the glock more than any other gun is itll always go bang when you pull the tigger.

I have been shooting since I was about 5. Just recently bought a few pistols and trying to make it to the range about twice a month now. I have a Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm and just bought a Sig Sauer 1911 (TACPAC). They are both great guns but I think the 1911 is my favorite. They are both very reliable and accurate guns. I'm already planning my next purchase but I'm undecided on what I want.

HIM_Tattoos said:
I fully agree, concealing a full framed gun can certainly be done. But, for the record, I'm a pretty small guy, 5'7" 135lbs. So I don't really have the body frame to conceal that big of a handgun, and is wearing a sweater in July considered concealed carry? :)

Ha ha point taken. I'm 5'10" 205 so i guess it might "blend" a little better on me. You could always get one of those sweet concealment fanny packs........

Just added a plinking gun to my guns that I own. Picked up the new Ruger SR22 .22 semi-auto. So far it seems to be a great little fun gun to shoot.

3600.jpg

That's a good looking Ruger plinker. I bought the MKIII about 1.5 yrs ago and it's a pain in the butt to break down & clean and have had constant feed/eject issues & have had it back for warranty work 2x now. Hope this new model does you well. Looks cool.

That's a good looking Ruger plinker. I bought the MKIII about 1.5 yrs ago and it's a pain in the butt to break down & clean and have had constant feed/eject issues & have had it back for warranty work 2x now. Hope this new model does you well. Looks cool.

Field stripping this new model is easy as can be, flip open a lever in the trigger guard pull the slide back and lift it. Then let it come back forward and off the barrel, that simple.

Also from all reports I have seen it will eat just about anything feed to it. So far I haven't shot it enough to confirm this.

I'll ask for an upgrade if I continue to have problems. I bought the MKIII for plinking, not tweaking!! ;). In truth I can't do 10 rounds without a jam with multiple ammo mfgs, yet they'll tell me it's looking to spec :(

My gun is the Benelli Super 90. I get to use it maybe 4 or 5 times a year when I go dove/quail/duck hunting. Great gun, I have thoroughly enjoyed it for the 5 or 6 years I have owned it.

2009522103739-benelli-super-90_ms.jpg

I have a Model 70 Winchester that is my main deer rifle(won it in a raffle). All my other guns I inherited from my dad when he died. My pheasant & other small game shotgun is a Remington 870 Wingmaster. I also have a WWII Japanese Arisaka 7.7 mm rifle. It's really not worth much because the "mum" is ground off, but it's still a nice conversation piece and it still fires and I can shoot the eyes out of a rattler at 100 yds with it.:) Shells are getting to be hard to come by, though.........

I had one of these my dad gave me. He got it from his dad. I always thought it was worth a lot. I wanted to shoot it so I took it to a gunsmith. He said he could work on it and get it close to shooting condition but no way in hell would he shoot it himself. That was enough for me. I never shot it and ended up selling it. Also, the gunsmith told me it wasn't worth much. Very poorly made, low quality steel, etc.

After I got out of the Marine Corps I had a few firearms for a couple years. Then I just lost interest. Haven't owned a gun in 10+ years.

I didnt make it out to the ranch this year for whitetail season but with the hog problems we're having in east texas Im sure Ill put a few of them to sleep this year.

My cabinet:
smith & wesson m&p 9mm
remington 870 magnum 12ga
savage 25-06
savage 22 bolt
savage 17hmr bull barrel
bushy ar15

My local gun shop was having a sale to compete with traveling gun show passing through town. I picked up a 9mm Kel-tec P-11, priced at a "couldn't pass it up" price. $250 for the parkerized over black. Was $275 last week.

Gun show, I picked up some 100rd bag packages of 115gr FMJ's from Georgia Arms for $23.50 per 100, a ccw holster for small of back, extra 10rd mag, and a pair of finger extensions for mags.

Will be firing the FMJ's at the range and during outdoor practice while practicing for SC CCW permit. Any suggestions on hollow point rounds? Heard some good things about the Hornady Critical Defense round.

Any suggestions on hollow point rounds? Heard some good things about the Hornady Critical Defense round.

Buy a box of every brand in every bullet weight they offer and head to the range. I found the hollow point rounds I shoot with the best accuracy are cheapo 124gr made from reloaded brass by a company called Right to Bear that they sell for $13.50/50rd box at the gun shows. Of the big name manufacturers' JHPs I prefer Cor-Bon. I always keep hollow points in the mag for home defense but have read conflicting articles on whether they actually expand and do more damage than a conventional fmj. Also buy different weight FMJs for target shooting, I shoot noticeably better groups with 124gr over 117gr

i plan on getting a mossberg for the new house. i want a pump action maybe the 590a1 adjust tac 9 shot 12 ga 20" barrel, 500 JIC II 12 ga 18.5 barrel with pistol grip, 500 thunder ranch 6 shot 18.5 barrel 12 ga. any other ideas im open to. its gonna be for home defence.

edit: maybe killing zombies/looters im also thinking about getting the mossberg 464 lever action to go with my 2 .30-30. beyond that i want a 1911

i plan on getting a mossberg for the new house. i want a pump action maybe the 590a1 adjust tac 9 shot 12 ga 20" barrel, 500 JIC II 12 ga 18.5 barrel with pistol grip, 500 thunder ranch 6 shot 18.5 barrel 12 ga. any other ideas im open to. its gonna be for home defence.

edit: maybe killing zombies/looters im also thinking about getting the mossberg 464 lever action to go with my 2 .30-30. beyond that i want a 1911

Don'tcha think a 12 guage is a bit "over kill" for home defence. Shoots a 28 will kill just fine inside your house. and do less damage to your walls.

Don'tcha think a 12 guage is a bit "over kill" for home defence. Shoots a 28 will kill just fine inside your house. and do less damage to your walls.

there is no better defense gun then a shotgun. just point and shoot, no more bad guy.

I think what he meant was use a smaller gauge shotgun. If you shoot me with a 20 or 28 gauge shotgun I'm going to be just as dead as if you used a 12. Using something like a 20 gauge you can perhaps reduce the collateral damage to your walls/neighbors ect...
Its still point and shoot and on top of that SWMBO is more likely to be able to use it as well.

If you shoot a 12gauge in your house, you might want to fire off plastic pellets or something non-lethal past a certain range. You wouldn't want to spray your family or the dog with buckshot. Almost all non-lethal rounds will kill close up, but what about grandma 30 meters away working in the flower bed? Don't want to mess up grandma.

Here is a question that keeps going up to top of list on my hand gun forum were I am a member.

You have a semi-auto and have x-rounds +1 are you carrying the +1 in the chamber? Same with revolver x in the wheel - hammer on round?

home defense vs carry

If some one knows how to set up poll I'd love that.

just a simple answer needed. ccw or home defense not needed. just a preference...

You have a semi-auto and have x-rounds +1 are you carrying the +1 in the chamber? Same with revolver x in the wheel - hammer on round?
Simple question, complex answer.

It depends on the gun and the intended purpose.

Generally speaking, round in the chamber/fully loaded cylinder. However, that could depend on the gun and the individual situation.

Revolvers:
Full cylinder
(Except in the case where there is no transfer bar/firing pin block preventing the hammer from striking the firing pin without the trigger being pulled - I wouldn't plan on using that particular gun for defense)

For semi-autos, very generally speaking:
Single action: Condition 1
Double action: Condition 2

For home defense, children make the situation extremely complicated. IMHO, particularly with very young/curious kids, you make the firearms less accessible to everyone (any combination of unloaded, guns and ammo kept separate, gun safe, etc), taking a calculated risk in the event of a home invasion. I don't really want to start any parenting arguments, so I'll just leave it at that - it's complicated.

For carrying, I can't find a reason not to have a round chambered. It might look cool to draw like an Israeli, but I don't want to count on that sort of fine motor skill in the heat of the moment.

Simple question, complex answer.

It depends on the gun and the intended purpose.

Generally speaking, round in the chamber/fully loaded cylinder. However, that could depend on the gun and the individual situation.

Revolvers:
Full cylinder
(Except in the case where there is no transfer bar/firing pin block preventing the hammer from striking the firing pin without the trigger being pulled - I wouldn't plan on using that particular gun for defense)

For semi-autos, very generally speaking:
Single action: Condition 1
Double action: Condition 2

For home defense, children make the situation extremely complicated. IMHO, particularly with very young/curious kids, you make the firearms less accessible to everyone (any combination of unloaded, guns and ammo kept separate, gun safe, etc), taking a calculated risk in the event of a home invasion. I don't really want to start any parenting arguments, so I'll just leave it at that - it's complicated.

For carrying, I can't find a reason not to have a round chambered. It might look cool to draw like an Israeli, but I don't want to count on that sort of fine motor skill in the heat of the moment.

exactly: Simple question, complex answer. like answer just getting consensus

always condition 1 (1911 officer model)ya need one in the pipe. That way ya justsweep the safety and fire. you need to practice for muscle memory with your choice of carry. DAO is much simpler just draw and fire. DAO firearms are much simpler for a new cc beginners.

starrfish said:
Here is a question that keeps going up to top of list on my hand gun forum were I am a member.

home defense vs carry

If some one knows how to set up poll I'd love that.

just a simple answer needed. ccw or home defense not needed. just a preference...

In the chamber." If it ain't cocked it don't shoot." Ask yourself this now, will I for sure have the time to chamber a round? So in the future your not saying " if I only had one more second." if your able to say anything at all for that matter.

Revolvers, every cylinder is loaded at all times. (except case mentioned by Yuri)

DAO- Condition 0 by default..... Gotta love a Glock..... (all others are condition 2)
SA- in house I just keep loaded mags sitting around, or in. If I have enough time to grab the gun, I have time to load it, even if its racking the slide by pushing it on a shelf. I don't carry SA

Most other firearms at my house sit in condition 2 such as shotguns and carbines.

I don't have kids in my house either. That will probably affect my firearm storage in a few years as I won't be able to just sit guns randomly throughout the house and cars.

Did the guy just drive off after shooting the other guy? I can't figure it out.

The victim shot the bad guys, after shooting the gang bangers there was a crowd of angry people forming so the victim did the right thing by leaving to a safe location and calling the police.

I carry my Beretta 9mm and Walther .380 DA/SA guns chambered and uncocked.

Tho it's my favorite gun, I'm somewhat new to the 1911 and not in a place where I'm comfortable carrying with a cocked hammer with a chambered round. So I don't carry my Colt XSE Govt, but around the house I always have it handy in condition 3.

I agree but in the house w/a 12 ?

If I ever find myself in the position that I need to pull the trigger on a 12ga. in my house, holes in the drywall are the least of my concern, provided no one is in the firing line other than the bad guy.

Back