Firearms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a sks,two smiths, 2 rugers, davis industries, stevenson....But as for pride and joy it is my most used remy 870 used for everything from duck to deer, been dropped in the mud and in the pond scrapped up and scrappy but the freezer say's it all

I bet it's close:D

Can't be louder than my 45-70 rifle. :D

(.22lr, .357 mag, 45-70 govt)

img1219n.jpg

Hey guys,

With taxes on the way, I've been contemplating purchasing my first handgun. But I'm torn on a few things. I really like what I've read about Glocks, but is there anything I should really be aware of, before pulling the trigger? (Pun fully intended) I've also read that a .45 might be a better choice, considering it's main intent would be self defense, though I doubt the need would ever arise, I really just like to fire, and would also be visiting the firing range weekly with said gun. Thoughts, questions, comments?

Hey guys,

With taxes on the way, I've been contemplating purchasing my first handgun. But I'm torn on a few things. I really like what I've read about Glocks, but is there anything I should really be aware of, before pulling the trigger? (Pun fully intended) I've also read that a .45 might be a better choice, considering it's main intent would be self defense, though I doubt the need would ever arise, I really just like to fire, and would also be visiting the firing range weekly with said gun. Thoughts, questions, comments?

Instead of starting the glock vs. sig vs. kimber. vs etc flamewar...

Buy what you like, points well and feels comfortable.

Caliber - a 22 in your fist beats a cannon in the safe.

Shoot whatever you get till its automatic - including jam drills, reloading, etc.

Consider getting formal training.

If possible, shoot some rentals before buying. What looks and feels good might not shoot for **** (for you).

I don't like glocks - I love my kimber. Others will tell you the exact opposite, and they'll be right. For THEM.

Walk tall, shoot straight and speak the truth. Good luck.

Hey guys,

PM if you want to discuss in depth. FWIW I've been shooting more than 25 years. Started when I was VERY young. I'd be happy to discuss.

Hey guys,

.45ACP is a great choice, but right now it's somewhat hard to come by (at a decent price) if you shop online for your ammo. This may or may not go away in the near future, depends how soon the ammo producers can catch up with the chicken little's staring up at the sky. It's also relatively expensive, especially if you plan to shoot every week. Bullets range about 50 cents to a dollar or more a shot ranging from you reloading your own bullets to buying them at some local place. Both 9mm and .45 ACP are fine as far as stopping power is concerned.

A revolver is another option... like the one I posted on the previous page. It's a seven shot and with speed loaders it's about as fast as a semi-auto. The gun can shoot the powerful .357 magnum or .38 special for cheaper target practice. A revolver is far less likely to malfunction in the middle of a gun fight. .357 magnum will have considerable more over penetration than a .45 ACP in a house situation. Both .45 ACP and .357 mag will obviously go through walls with ease, as will shotgun shot (much to many people's misinformation).

A somewhat final option would be a shotgun. If you get a 7 or 8 shell capacity 12ga with a 18" barrel you are pretty well off for home defense. You still need to practice with whatever gun you get.

As far as gun selection... that's up to you. Go rent a Glock at a range and shoot it a bit before buying it. They are great guns and a lot of people love them. They are workhorses and will last you a very long time if you take care of it... but you have to make sure that you enjoy the way it fires, feels in your hand, etc.

....A revolver is far less likely to malfunction in the middle of a gun fight.

A somewhat final option would be a shotgun. If you get a 7 or 8 shell capacity 12ga with a 18" barrel you are pretty well off for home defense. You still need to practice with whatever gun you get.

I've had revolvers quit on me in "combat style" shooting - didn't let the trigger reset completely. I *personally* haven't had an auto fail. YMMV and this emphasizes the need for malfunction training.

As far as a shotgun - NOTHING says "wrong house" like a boomstick. But my BEST purchase was a flashlight forend for the 870. It's a surefire, and facemeltingly bright. And it might keep me from making a mistake that would haunt me the rest of my life.

Hey guys,

For home defense, get a semiautomatic shotgun, bird shot for the first round to scare said intruders, buck shot for the rest ... With a shotgun it is point and shoot, even if you're panicked you'll be okay, plus shooting clay targets flying through the sky is FUN!!! For the range, get a .22 caliber, you can't beat the price of ammo. If you want something loud, a hand cannon, then a .40, .44, or .45 caliber should do the trick. I've had lots of fun with my buddies 9mm, which is very near a .38 caliber. The ammo for his gun is much cheaper than for my .40 cal. S&W eating glock 22. Like Neunelfer said go to a range, rent a few guns and see what feels good for you. What ever you decide on lock it up and keep it way from children, my glock came with a lock and a warning that it attracts children.

For home defense, get a semiautomatic shotgun, bird shot for the first round to scare said intruders, buck shot for the rest ... With a shotgun it is point and shoot, even if you're panicked you'll be okay, plus shooting clay targets flying through the sky is FUN!!! For the range, get a .22 caliber, you can't beat the price of ammo. If you want something loud, a hand cannon, then a .40, .44, or .45 caliber should do the trick. I've had lots of fun with my buddies 9mm, which is very near a .38 caliber. The ammo for his gun is much cheaper than for my .40 cal. S&W eating glock 22. Like Neunelfer said go to a range, rent a few guns and see what feels good for you. What ever you decide on lock it up and keep it way from children, my glock came with a lock and a warning that it attracts children.

I can't agree - birdshot?!!! Never point a gun at something you aren't willing to kill. Birdshot might fail you when you need it, and also offers some legal issues - "I just wanted to hurt him". If you pull the trigger, you better be afraid for your life, and you better be willing to kill him/her. If you are shooting a threat you need the round that will incapacitate as fast as possible, and that means energy, blood loss, penetration, and CNS damage. If you aren't comfortable w/ these things, don't buy a gun.

As for the rest of your comment - I'm w/ you 100%.

For home defense, get a semiautomatic shotgun, bird shot for the first round to scare said intruders, buck shot for the rest ... With a shotgun it is point and shoot, even if you're panicked you'll be okay

Bird shot is for birds. If you fire on somebody you better be ready and trying to kill.

A shotgun might be more forgiving than a handgun but it's still very important to become proficient with the weapon.

i've got 300 rounds left of 1000 #8-2.75. it does wonders inside of 20 feet! i can cut someone in half with 3 rounds or less... got a 6+1, so im prepared for 4 boarders before a reload. gotta make a butt mag for 12 shells. as for pistol defense, i wouldn't mind a 9mm with people stoppers or wad cutters. but cali won't let me own handguns without a current safety card (they're valid for 5 years).

i've got 300 rounds left of 1000 #8-2.75. it does wonders inside of 20 feet! i can cut someone in half with 3 rounds or less... got a 6+1, so im prepared for 4 boarders before a reload. gotta make a butt mag for 12 shells. as for pistol defense, i wouldn't mind a 9mm with people stoppers or wad cutters. but cali won't let me own handguns without a current safety card (they're valid for 5 years).

It takes like 5 minutes to get a handgun safety certificate.

Just brought her home today. Springfield XD-40 Subcompact. Im going to use this as my carry weapon. Arizona is lifting the need for a permit for CCW. Now every law abiding citizen can carry concealed.

Nice! I have an XD-45 that I absolutely love! The only thing I don't like is how fat it is. That's where the XD 40 would be nice. That's badass that Arizona is lifting the requirement for a CCW permit. NM is still pretty strict in regards to CCW.

That's badass that Arizona is lifting the requirement for a CCW permit. NM is still pretty strict in regards to CCW.

Not as strict as Canada! We're not as bad as Europe or Australia, though.

First, all guns have to be registered with the federal government. Can't own a handgun unless you are a member of a club. If you do own one, you have to have a special transportation permit with the gun. If the cops catch you with it and they don't believe that you're going to or coming from the club, it's gone. Guns can't be used for self-defense within or outside your residence in Canada, unless you're a farmer shooting a wolf or something. Shoot a crim, you go to jail. Wouldn't stop me though.

Rather be tried by twelve than be carried by six.

IMG_0245-2.jpg
IMG_0419-1.jpg
IMG_0611_2-1.jpg

Glocks 19,17,21
RRA tac entry
Moss 12 guage police cruiser
mpa 30 (mac-11 clone)
walther p-22
Romanian Ak-47 All blk modified
Romanian Ak-47 wood soon to be modified.
early italian company U/O 20 gauge later to be bought by berreta.
not pictured :
BB ruger 10/22
jtd industries ptr-91.

Thats all for now.:p

Hey TxBrew!

I have a small collection consisting of 4 shotguns, 3 rifles and 1 pistol.

The shotguns are one 20ga, two 16ga, one 12 ga, from home defense to hunting styles...

The rifles are two 7.62x54R mosin nagants, one is an M44, which is a carbine, the other is the 91/30 with a 28" barrel. I modified the M44 a little with a new synthetic stock, muzzle brake and bipod, which I sometimes regret. I also have a little takedown Marlin Papoose .22lr. I love my Mosins because they are so cheap to shoot and the round is fairly accurate with '06 class power.

My favorite at the moment is my Colt M1911 .45acp. It's serial number indicates that it is early 50's if I remember correctly. It shoots so well, sometimes I wonder if I am even a worthy shooter of it! The problem is ammo- hard to find the stuff and the cheap wolf etc is probably not the best for my beauty.

I have recently looked into reloading, mainly for .45 acp- have the lee turrett and some powder, need to get other components when time and money allow.

How about you? What is your collection like?

By the way, I am a prospective hunter, but here in San Diego our mountains are small and hunting lands limited, but at least we have some. Need to get my license and tags next year! I'm thinking of looking into the wild hog population that is growing out of control as as of late in our backcountry...

.243 Remington bolt
12 gauge Savage pump (Long, modified choke)
20 gauge Winchester Defender Riot Gun (mama's pop gun, it's a hoot!)
.40 Sig Sauer 239
.357 Magnum S&W Detective Special JFrame
.38+P S&W Airweight

My newest babies are my first two .22's At 49 I figured I was due. I bought them to bring my son into shooting, and if my nine year old keeps the interest and safety up, he might own one or both of them.

Sig Sauer Mosquito (identical to my 239)
S&W M&P 15-22 (identical to the assault rifle I hope to buy next)
Green Dot Laser will mount on both.

I sure hope to get more as money allows, I have a CHL, also there is always someone home, and Mama is surgical with that pop gun.

Nova5, great job on the ammo, I am working on it.

.22's.jpg

Hey guys,

What I have found personally is: My Airweight always is easy to carry (hardly know that it is there. It is also the most accurate).

My .357 JFrame is small but has a hammer, so pockets are a no go, and is to heavy for comfort in carrying (my dad left it to me, an excellent shooter at the range).

The Sig Sauer .40 with a high outside belt holster is very comfortable, is a semi auto, double action, and clips are easier to reload than my revolvers speed loaders. I carry it the most. The main thing that convinced me to make the .40 work is an email that made sense. Something to the effect that a Marine stated if you want to kill someone, make sure that there is a "4" in the caliber.

I use this for size, weight, caliber information, and is my own opinion. I am not trying to push one brand over another, I like all my different styles.

You guys with those XD's.... SSSAAaaaawwwwwweeeeeeeeettt!
I'll take one in a .40 thankyou very much.

SpringfieldXDM40.jpg

You guys with those XD's.... SSSAAaaaawwwwwweeeeeeeeettt!
I'll take one in a .40 thankyou very much.

I LOVE my XD .40 - Even in a subcompact it is a great gun to shoot on the range and because its a subcompact it's actually a good carry gun. I didn't think I would ever move away from my 1911 as my main goto gun for carry, but the XD has seen the bulk of the time lately.

I have a Browning .270 A-Bolt (about 25 years old) topped with a Swarovski Kahles scope. My pride and joy. I also have a Browning 12 gauge BPS and will be inheriting a Browning A-5 12 gauge, from early 1960's, from my dad. Use the .270 for deer hunting and the BPS for deer hunting, trap, etc.

HWMBO played his Obama card earlier this year..."honey I have to buy one before Obama makes them illegal." :mug:

Needless to say it fires these.

API.jpg

Back