Fire extinguisher keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkarp

Reaction score
Pure genius!

http://hackaday.com/2010/12/19/this-fire-extinguisher-serves-frothy-beverages

beer-fire-extinguisher-e1292688644498.jpg

I saw that article as well. I am waiting for replies from a few craigslist ads with these. My plan is to use a paintball CO2 tank to pressurize the extinguisher. I really like the idea.

I have two spare 2.5 gallon SS extinguishers in Mitchell ON. If anyone feels like bringing me a six or something to sample (not the stuff reserved for the BMC crowd or rowdy cousins) you can walk away with one.

Oh yeah the label says "Use water only" and pressurize to 100PSI.

I have 2 of these. I saw them at a flea market and thought the same as above. Nice to see it works.

Going to have to see if I can find any of these... Might have to talk with some of the firemen at the local station to see if they know where I could locate some... If we have a street party this year, I'll have to use one to serve up some cold home brew... :D

you should be able to get them cheap.. they have a maximum service life. we sell and service fire extinguishers, and we were just getting rid of old ones. i wish i would thought about another use for them. i would sell them to you guys on here for scrap price plus shipping. if i get more i'll let everyone know.

you should be able to get them cheap.. they have a maximum service life. we sell and service fire extinguishers, and we were just getting rid of old ones. i wish i would thought about another use for them. i would sell them to you guys on here for scrap price plus shipping. if i get more i'll let everyone know.

Any news? I would be interested in picking one up from you. :eek:
Its a great way to make a 2.5 gallon keg!!!

I was looking at some on ebay and it looks like they use a Schrader valve to refill the air pressure. If that's the case, you could use a CO2 bike tire inflater to charge the pressure!

Ya, most do. If you notice its also NPT fittings so swapping out to a standard CO2 fitting is a cake walk!

So I finally picked up one of these but rather then have it sitting on ice I would like to be able to carry it around and fill cups so I need to come up with a means of keeping it pressurized... Is anyone using the co2 cartridges with one of these?

JoeBronco said:
Ya, most do. If you notice its also NPT fittings so swapping out to a standard CO2 fitting is a cake walk!

Mine appears to use 1/8 NPS - note straight vs. NPT (taper) - it seems like I could get a taper fitting in there, as straight 1/8 adapters of any sort appear non-existent.

From my experiences with filling them at the firehouse, you can just charge it with CO2, and it will stay pressurized for a while. We would leave them on the rigs and check them once a week, so I would say you could probably get a week out of one charge.

Can you link me to the adaptor you are talking about? I have not taken the fitting off mine yet but currently I can fill it with a bike pump lol...

what were your search terms (or who was selling these) on ebay? I can't seem to find anything, and these babies seem really neat!

what were your search terms (or who was selling these) on ebay? I can't seem to find anything, and these babies seem really neat!

Fire department calls them water cans. But they are known as 2.5 gallon water pressure fire extinguishers

I don't want to rain on what is in theory a good idea but I would caution you against this if you have a choice.
I posted about this somewhere else but can't link
The main points:

CO2 is not CO2 is not CO2. It comes in all sorts of grades, you should get food grade, not fire extinguisher grade. The grade is way more important than purity.
Even if it is 99.9 or even 99.99% it's still no good if it's not food grade and 99%...forget it. That 0.1 or 0.01% could contaminated with really nasty crud. For the sake of a few bucks and your well being I'd urge you to insist on food grade and check it is.
It's up to you, here is food grade spec
http://www.logichemprocess.com/CO2 Food Grade Specs.pdf

These limits are deemed safe, to put a fire out it doesn't matter
Secondly there is the containers that can cross contaminate if corroded etc.
Sure this is a way to rip you off, and 99999/100,000 it won't matter, like insurance I guess, you don't need it til you need it.
Sometimes perhaps mostly, ordinary CO2 might meet this spec, sometimes not.
Look at this
http://www.jmcatalysts.com/ptd/site.asp?siteid=671&pageid=674
there is a reason why benzene is set lower for consumption than for processing.
like this for example
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzene_in_soft_drinks
It all depends how you value your health. But paintball-fire-extinguisher-bike tire refills etc would be best avoided unless certified at food grade and certified means US or European not eBay or china. Sure you can save a ton of money by buying things unfit for human consumption.....

If you want cheap and easy bottle carbonate in cola bottles.

Hmmmm...

I have a couple of these downstairs. I was planning on turning them into lamps, but this is way more functional.

Jon P - or maybe other folks, too -
I love this idea. I'm looking into some fire extinguishers out there on CL and Ebay. They can be pricey. It seems like somebody out there thinks these things look great as refurbished lamps - without beer in them at all! Garbage.
Anyway - there are a number of different types of fire extinguishers. I heard from someone that they should be the kind that only used water back in the day. Does that include soda acid (sounds kind of benign)?
Also, does the material of the fire extinguisher matter? There's some pretty cool brass ones - but it seems like sanitizer and beer might get pretty nasty on brass (or make beer taste like pennies).

What do you all think?

I would stick with the stainless, just wash them out really well. My father who was a fireman said they used to put a little bit of antifreeze in theirs during the winter. I wouldn't be surprised if others did this as well....

Back