Fire Extinguisher Cabinet for Control Panel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosstradamus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am slowly working to get all the parts I will need for a control panel that will replace my ammo box pwm.

Planning on going from a cooler MLT and e-keggle to a 4 keggle system (HLT/Herms, MLT, BK1, BK2). I am still deciding between PIDs and a BCS, how many elements to run simultaneously, etc.....but figured that it would be nice to have a box too big rather than too small.

While looking for a Hoffman box, I came across this Fire Extinguisher Cabinet on Craigslist and picked it up. The interior is 24" tall, 10.5" wide and 6" deep. I know it is not waterproof, but I don't think it is going to get more than an occasional splash. Anybody see a problem with using this as an enclosure? I don't know what gauge it is, but it is pretty solid. Is there a disadvantage to just mounting the components to the back, without using a separate interior back panel?

DSC_0589.jpg

The back panel just makes it easier to install parts. You can remove the panel and install hardware with more room. It also cuts down on holes in the enclosure. You can make one out of 1/8" 6061 Alum from McMaster if you feel you want one.

Add a bolt to use for grounding the enclosure. Put a second bolt on the door to bond it with the rest of the enclosure using a wire. The hinges do not adequately bond the door. Sand off the paint so the bolts are contacting the metal not the paint.

Is there a flange that the door closes onto? That will help with splashing. You could add a gasket if you want to give it a little boost.

For a bcs 2 element, 2 pump system I think it will work. PID? may be too shallow. Until you have decided what you're going to put in it how can you know? Finalize your list of components, find the measurements of them and draw it out on graph paper at scale. I think you'll be surprised how much real estate you start to take up. I wouldn't be so quick to say that box is too big.

Back