Finning white wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCHB

Reaction score
Hi everyone
This is my first attempt on making white wine, now it’s on cold crash process. after that I am going to use bentonite for finning. I have 2 questions. First, which temperature is the best for adding bentonite? and after that how long and in which temperature it should be to best effect?
second question I didn’t adjust PH until now. can I adjust it end of process?
Thanks 🙏🏼

Hi everyone
This is my first attempt on making white wine, now it’s on cold crash process. after that I am going to use bentonite for finning. I have 2 questions. First, which temperature is the best for adding bentonite? and after that how long and in which temperature it should be to best effect?
second question I didn’t adjust PH until now. can I adjust it end of process?
Thanks 🙏🏼

The absolute BEST way to clarify white wine is with kieselsol and chitosan. Easy to use, results in brilliant clarity. Assuming you're presently in a bulk container (carboy), just gently stir in the keiselsol, wait anywhere from an hour to one day, then gently stir in the chitosan. Within hours you'll see very clear wine. Resist the urge to bottle it. Wait a few days to a week or so and you'll be treated to wine so clear you'll think it was filtered with a 0.45 micron polishing filter.

This stuff is magic. You can find it at your LHBS or online. It works for beer and red wine as well (single dose size sold as KC Super Kleer) but I usually only use it on white wine. I buy it in bulk a liter at a time when I'm doing a lot of white wines, but for a single 6 gallon kit wine you only need a very small amount. Many kits come with it as a clarifier. It's stable at room temperature and your wine doesn't need to be chilled first.

Back