Finished English Bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kooklife

Reaction score
Ok my English bitter has been bottled for two weeks. I tried one today and it was weak in carbonation and had a slight taste of metal. The bottle i opemed also didnt have much of a yeast cake and was very clear and consistent. Should I wait longer to open some more? I know it will only get better with time but after how long will I have a good beer without having to wait so long.

Ok my English bitter has been bottled for two weeks. I tried one today and it was weak in carbonation and had a slight taste of metal. The bottle i opemed also didnt have much of a yeast cake and was very clear and consistent. Should I wait longer to open some more? I know it will only get better with time but after how long will I have a good beer without having to wait so long.

Frankly, those type of bottling issues led me to kegs. What temp were you bottle conditioning in? I think you should give it another week in the warmest area of your home.

Make sure you are storing it at room temperature, and give it another 1-2 weeks minimum.

InB4 Revvy's "3 weeks @ 70" rule.

Are you bottling glass bottles with caps? have seen a thread on here suggesting that commercially brewed bottled beers sometimes have a metallic taste and one of the solutions was that it's a good idea to wipe the bottle top after opening to remove metal residue, left over from essentially crushing the metal cap, as this can get into the beer you're drinking, leading to a metallic taste.

Also +1 on the additional time at a temperature conducive to carbonation.

Yeah I would guess that they are two different problems. A rusty, metallic taste comes from capping while the bottle is wet, and can be fixed by wiping it off before you drink or just pouring into a glass.

I don't get those metallic flavors. I wonder if those that do are using aluminum brew kettles. Or BK's with chips in the ceramic coating,exposing the metal underneath. And 3 or 4 weeks minimum for aging the bottled beers. I've had APA's & IPA's get good at 5 weeks,then 2 weeks fridge time for thicker head & longer lasting carbonation.

unionrdr said:
I don't get those metallic flavors. I wonder if those that do are using aluminum brew kettles. Or BK's with chips in the ceramic coating,exposing the metal underneath.

The flavor is not really in the beer. It's on the surface of the lip of the bottle. You might get it on only one bottle in a batch, depending on a lot of factors. It's caused by the cap rusting a little bit.

Hmmm....glass is smooth & non abrasive,so?? Maybe plain steel caps? I use anodized o2 barrier caps. If any metal does come off, it's likely very minute. Not enough to be able to rust & cause an off flavor so shortly after opening. According to Palmer's site,it says this; Metallic flavors are usually caused by un-protected metals dissolving into the wort. But can also be caused by the hydrolysis of lipids in poorly stored malts. Iron & aluminum can cause metallic flavors leaching into the wort during the boil. The small amount could be considered to be nutritional if it weren't for the bad taste. Nicks & cracks in ceramic coated steel pots are a common cause,as are high iron levels in well water. SS pots will not contribute any metallic flavors. Aluminum pots won't cause metallic flavors unless the brewing water is alkaline with a PH level greater than 9. Shiny new aluminum pots will sometimes turn black when boiling water due to chlorine's & carbonates in the water. The protective oxides (greyish) of aluminum can be enhanced by heating the clean pot in a dry oven at 250F for about 6 hours. So there you have it...& the link; www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter21-2.html

Back