Finished beer storage in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wetzie

Wetzelbrew
Reaction score
I searched but could not find a solution so far. I brewed a brown ale for my sons wedding in early September. It will finish at the end of June and I was going to keg and start a slow carbonation cycle. My questions are is this too long for beer to sit carbed for a couple of months? Should I do this in the refrigerator as it will be high 60's in my basement? I have not had one stored for this long before and wanted to see if anyone has done this before. Thank you

I brewed a brown ale for my sons wedding in early September.

Congrats!

It will finish at the end of June and I was going to keg and start a slow carbonation cycle. My questions are is this too long for beer to sit carbed for a couple of months?

Better to sit carbonated than uncarbonated. You don't want O2 creeping in, and maintaining a positive pressure will help keep the lid sealed.

Should I do this in the refrigerator as it will be high 60's in my basement?

Keep it as cold as possible (short of freezing), unless you have a specific reason to age the beer. A good rule of thumb is that staling reactions proceed 2-3 times as fast for each 10C increase in temperature.

I have not had one stored for this long before and wanted to see if anyone has done this before.

Just for future reference... IMO it's best, for "event" beers, to plan your brew day (etc.) so that they are ready not very long before the event.

The good news is this is a brown ale and not a NEIPA, so if your process was good (and sanitary), the beer will probably hold up well.

:rock: Thank you for the reply, it helps me feel more at ease. I can fit the kegs in the frig and keep them cold (might drink one though). I have an IPA scheduled for July so that will be ready as well.
Thanx:)

Back