Finings sequence

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacon488

Reaction score
I am using finings for the first time at the recommendation of the fellow homebrewer who sent me the yeast strain I used for my Gratzer. I introduced isinglass to cold (35) beer in secondary then let it rise a bit and lots of yeast dropped out. So far so good. I've still got a LOT of haze. More cloudy than hazy. (Like halfway to wit or a yeasty hef.) I know that the order in which finings are used matters sometimes. Would polyclar + SiO2 (kieselsol) added now cause a problem, or will it settle out normally? I've read stories about the incorrect order causing clearing to take a long time.

To save everyone time on the inevitable technique pointers (a common theme in threads about finings):
- It's 100% Weyermann smoked wheat.
- It got a protein rest at 125, then sacc rests at 150 and 158, and mashed out at 167.
- Iodine test was negative.
- Sparged very slowly w/ 170 water, and stopped running out at 1.010.
- Whirlfloc in the boil.
- Ran out through a 30-plate chiller and got tons of cold break.
- Racked to secondary at terminal gravity, cold crashed, added cold stir plate-dissolved isinglass (Biofine) at the dosage recommended by the manufacturer. 48+ hours have elapsed since.
- I don't have time to cold condition much - this is being tapped at a festival in one week.

So that said, this is my only remedy. Or I can just let it be. I would like to know about the sequencing of finings though. Thanks for any help! :mug:

With 100% wheat you're going to have a hell of a time getting it to clear, especially if you used a wheat beer yeast, which generally have low flocculation. I've never heard anything about the order of finings mattering, but it could be true. Since you're kegging, filtering is probably your best bet. Cheers!

Back