Finings - 3 Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilvaRizla

Reaction score
Hello all, this is my first post in the forum, I have used a lager kit before but it never turned out that nice, and was far too cloudy.

So my questions are:

1. Can I use finings that have been in the cupboard for 2 years (they do smell a bit fishy/vinigary)
2. When should I add them
3. How much should I use for 40 pints

Thanks

Silva

1.) nope. too cheap to buy some fresh irish moss or whirlfloc tablets
2.) 30-15 minutes left in your boil
3.) 1/2 -1 tsp for 5 gallon batch

I think you may be addressing the wrong problem. I never use finings and my beer is clear. Perhaps your kit is to blame. Was it one of the add some sugar type kits?

In other words, if your car doesn't run so well, changing the wiper blades won't help. Fairly clear beer isn't too difficult and sort of works itself out when the process is right. You sound like you were dissatisfied with your kit in other areas too. If so, then finings definitely won't help.

And old/fishy/vinegary finings won't EVER help anything.

Cheers :D

They are liquid finings in a bottle, I don't know what type. I have since discovered that they had a use by date of Aug 04 on the bottom which I didn't notice so so I won't be using them.

The last kit I done was Sheritons Best Bitter, it just didn't taste nice or have a decent head (Infact I don't think it had a head at all).

I can't seem to get hold of the correct soda stream canister for my King Keg, but changing the tap would probably help a bit.

The beer was also not very clear, I was (and partially still am) under the impression that if you drink cloudy beer it won't go down well, since coming here I'm starting to think this isn't true.

Thanks

Silva

Back