Fining for competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carboywonder

Reaction score
Hey all.

I'm pouring at a public tasting against three other beers in the finals of a quarterly competition. Winning beer gets brewed on the commercial scale. Life and whatnot got in the way so I had to turn the beer around quickly. It's a gratzer, Brewed with wyeast kolsch yeast. Yeasties are not wanting to drop out.
In addition to cold crashing, I typically fine with gelatin in the keg. First pint is cloudy then pours prefectly. Occasionally when I jostle the keg it clouds up some.

I'm wondering if I should fine in the fermenter instead, or in addition to, fining in the keg as I will have to transport the beer to the serving location and don't want to be pouring cloudy beer.

This sounds like a perfect opportunity to create a semi-bright tank setup. What i would do is if you have 2 kegs do this...

Transfer from Fermenter to your keg and add gelatin... Shake as you normally would... let it sit for the days you need to to get your co2 dissolved and allow the gelatin to drop any proteins out. Then get your other keg up to same temperature and purged with CO2... Draw off the first pint till its clear, then hook up a beer line that has a beer-out fitting on each side.
So beer out to beer out on each keg... Slowly push the beer from the bright/conditioning keg to your empty one.

Voilla! You should have all your cleared beer in the empty keg and the one with the gunk left over in it... I would say just to be careful, i would stop transfering into the new keg when you think you are getting close to the bottom of the other so you don't suck up any crud from the other.

Back