Finding Vanilla Beans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdf191

Reaction score
Hey fellow brewers, I am currently brewing a beer with Vanilla Beans in it, and I realized I may have some helpful information for anyone who occasionally brews with them.

I used to buy the occasional bean at the local supermarket where they sell for very high prices. Anywhere from 4-8 $ per bean. Which to me is bothersome spending that much on such a small ingredient. But fear not, there is a better way...

In any way you can, beg, borrow, befriend, beat, bribe, whatever works, a restaurant or bakery owner!!!!!

I work at a restaurant and one day walked in the back to see a gigantic multiple pound bag of whole vanilla beans just sitting there. It turns out wholesale purchasing of the beans in MUCH CHEAPER like cents not dollars per bean. He has been happy to throw me a few beans whenever I have needed them for free. But even if you couldn't get them for free, you could pay them a few bucks for a dozen beans.

Thought this could help out.
Happy Brewing!

I buy mine on ebay. Get more to get a better price, but a dozen can be purchased for a few dollars.

I saw them at my costco for cheap as well. I usually get them at my food co-op. They buy them in bulk and I get a few beans for a buck there.

Latest posts

Back