Finding the right soundbar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abbas

Reaction score
I'm on a mission to find a soundbar that is 4k compatible.

I have become hung up reading reviews on Amazon. There's always a few people that complain about every single soundbar and now I cant make a decision.

I'm looking to spend 450 or under and want some with great quality bass that sounds good during movies as well as music.

Can anyone help me out here?

... and want some with great quality bass that sounds good during movies as well as music.

For this, you really need to go listen to some. Sound quality, IMO, is all over the place from boomy, overdriven, hollow sounding transmission line style bass cabinets to overly tinny soundbar drivers.

I heard some really expensive ones that sounded absolute crap and some really cheap ones that sounded better than some tower speakers.

For this, you really need to go listen to some. Sound quality, IMO, is all over the place from boomy, overdriven, hollow sounding transmission line style bass cabinets to overly tinny soundbar drivers.

I heard some really expensive ones that sounded absolute crap and some really cheap ones that sounded better than some tower speakers.

I went to Best Buy and listened to a few. It's still difficult for me to gauge because there was no remote to mess around with the settings. On top of that they only had about 12 different soundbars that worked/were up for display.

I went to Best Buy and listened to a few. It's still difficult for me to gauge because there was no remote to mess around with the settings. On top of that they only had about 12 different soundbars that worked/were up for display.

12 is a decent sample size. Audio/electronics store are becoming a dying breed. Consider also WalMart/Target and specialty Home Theater stores.

no need to be an arrogant ass, I gave an opinion, you aren't even the OP, why be such a donkey?

O rly? And "I would rather save up for a decent 5.1/7.1 dedicated amp with speakers" is what you consider helpful when he asked, specifically, about a SOUNDBAR ?

because it is an opinion and an option? why are you arguing, you weren't even the one asking the question.

I gave an opinion, because soundbars just seem (to me) an expensive, not as good option to a decent basic sound system.

The configuration of your listening/viewing area will have a huge effect on bass response. Listening to the different products in the store won't really do you much good. If you can swing it, buy 3 or 4 units and listen to them at home. Keep the best and return the rest.

What is the room dimensions that you are placing the unit into? Depending on the environment the sound system is going into, could help you determine what system you should get.

I don't want to say that we cannot be helpful, but I would highly recommend checking out an audio forum. They can better serve you then we can.

I have a decent, but older onkyo 5.1 from when my home theater was in a larger room, but I've moved the theater to a smaller bedroom where a soundbar will be more than sufficient. Some soundbars have options to add a sub if you need more bass.

Just a technical quibble: 4K has nothing to do with a soundbar. 4K is nice for pretty pictures (if you have the source quality available), but just because a source is “4K” doesn’t mean that the sound that goes along with it will be any better than any other source.

ANYWAY with that bit of pedantry out of the way, I actually really like my Sonos Playbar. Surprisingly good sound from a pretty small package, plus a ton of other great music playback options. They have a newer, smaller version out right now that adds voice control and all that jazz, but I don’t have any real experience with that one. Knowing Sonos quality though, I’m sure it would be great. Plus, it’s more inline with your budget.

Sonos are pretty neat as well in that you can add to your system is you want more channels/surrounds. My system consists of the playbar, the Sonos sub, and two Play1’s as surrounds. It sounds great!

Just a technical quibble: 4K has nothing to do with a soundbar. 4K is nice for pretty pictures (if you have the source quality available), but just because a source is “4K” doesn’t mean that the sound that goes along with it will be any better than any other source.

ANYWAY with that bit of pedantry out of the way, I actually really like my Sonos Playbar. Surprisingly good sound from a pretty small package, plus a ton of other great music playback options. They have a newer, smaller version out right now that adds voice control and all that jazz, but I don’t have any real experience with that one. Knowing Sonos quality though, I’m sure it would be great. Plus, it’s more inline with your budget.

Sonos are pretty neat as well in that you can add to your system is you want more channels/surrounds. My system consists of the playbar, the Sonos sub, and two Play1’s as surrounds. It sounds great!

True, sound has nothing to do with video. But if he intends to use the soundbar as a switch, like a receiver, it will need 4K compatibility (HDCP 2.2).

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. The room is not massive. I have 2 family rooms in my house and this will be for the smaller of the 2. I bought a 58 inch UHD to mount and I'm just looking for a soundbar/sub combo that I can use for both movies/TV shows and will put out a decent amount of bass for when I am playing music/entertaining.

What is the room dimensions that you are placing the unit into? Depending on the environment the sound system is going into, could help you determine what system you should get.

I don't want to say that we cannot be helpful, but I would highly recommend checking out an audio forum. They can better serve you then we can.

I have a decent, but older onkyo 5.1 from when my home theater was in a larger room, but I've moved the theater to a smaller bedroom where a soundbar will be more than sufficient. Some soundbars have options to add a sub if you need more bass.

I may have to look into a forum like that. I am picky about the way speakers and subs sound, but I have no clue about the intricacies of sound bars/sound systems.

The configuration of your listening/viewing area will have a huge effect on bass response. Listening to the different products in the store won't really do you much good. If you can swing it, buy 3 or 4 units and listen to them at home. Keep the best and return the rest.

I didn't think about this, but not a bad idea at all.

Back