Finding 10g Rubbermaid coolers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Germelli1

Reaction score
All I have found is $47 at Lowes, havn't been able to find any at home depot (mostly the employees not knowing their @$$ from a hole in the ground) or $xx+$30 shipping online.

Is $47 the cheapest I will get? In that case I will try to get by without a HLT but I was hoping to do better than that.

Any advice on finding these things for cheaper?

I got mine for $40 at HD, but you won't find it much cheaper. I never used an HLT when I was using my cooler setup. I would just heat the water and dump it in. The only reason for an HLT is to hold water and keep it at temp. But, if you time things right, you don't really need one. Unless you're using a RIMS system that is...

Last time I was at Lowes, they had a 12-gallon Ice Cube cooler for about $27. Unless you are fixated on the round coolers, I would go for that. This is especially true if you are using it as a HLT, as geometry doesn't matter at all for those, and you don't need to fit it for a false bottom/manifold/braid etc. Just a drain.

Last time I was at Lowes, they had a 12-gallon Ice Cube cooler for about $27. Unless you are fixated on the round coolers, I would go for that. This is especially true if you are using it as a HLT, as geometry doesn't matter at all for those, and you don't need to fit it for a false bottom/manifold/braid etc. Just a drain.

Thanks for the tip. I am going to build a MLT so I don't care about the shape. I just figured with all the documentation on here on the 10g Rubbermaid ones, I would have an easier time finding parts and getting it to work out.

I am definitely going to look into that cooler, thanks!

hmmm, I wonder if I could make this work (48 qt. cooler):

034223443481xl.jpg

Yes, check the equipment gallery. Many people use that square Igloo.

Yup, actually just got back from helping an recently retired brewer "throw out" some of his stuff. He was showing me his tuns made from those coolers and ended up giving me a hot water heating element to use for the HLT.

I also got a handful of CPVC and am thinking of using it for the drain piping. Now the fun/brainstorming/frustration begins!

I found mine on Craigslist for $10. It may take a little while for one to show up, so be patient.

Thanks for the advice. I am going to buld my mash tun out of an igloo cooler, but I am going to hold off for the HLT and, like you said prowl craigslist like a pedophile at a carnival.

Well maybe you didn't use those exact words...

Back