Finally scored a half barrel keg! But...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daver77

Reaction score
Went on craigslist this morning and someone was giving a way a keg saying there is still beer in it. No pictures, just first come first serve.

I contacted the person and he said he would put it out on the driveway for me. I have been wanting a keg to step up to the occasional 10 gallon brewing. I see myself doing mostly 5 gal but wanted the option.

So it's a coors keg with the wider center and it looks like it's been dropped on one side.

Not pretty but free. do you guys think I should try and bang that out with a rubber mallet?

IMG_3578_zpsdc2c0563.jpg

A rubber mallet? Good luck. After you cut the top, put a bottle jack on the inside(top of the jack at the center on the dent), place a 2x4 under the jack and pump away. You may have to move the jack a few times to get the keg looking half-way decent. But it can be done.

That's a good idea. There isn't much room to bang away in there anyhow.
I'm cleaning the keg right now.
Ordering my Conversion kit from Bobby soon and going to the hardware store tonight to pick up an angle grinder.
I have a dremmie but I know a grinder is going to make that job a lot easier. Plus I know I'll use it for other stuff.

Make sure you tell Bobby what kind of keg it is if you get a sight glass. He has an extension to clear the bulge. Also it will be difficult to pound out the dent even with a steel mallet. You might need a Jack as mentioned above.

Those kegs are all dented in the middle. I had two a while back, both dented, but one looked like yours. Just leave it. That gives it character.

Those kegs are all dented in the middle. I had two a while back, both dented, but one looked like yours. Just leave it. That gives it character.

I might just do that, Damn it's ugly.

I'll just install the bulkhead on the nicer side.

Just got back from HD with the angle grinder. Going to go at it sometime this week.

I might just do that, Damn it's ugly.

I'll just install the bulkhead on the nicer side.

Just got back from HD with the angle grinder. Going to go at it sometime this week.

Use it and enjoy the ugliness! Fixing that would be a big job, and it will never be pretty, unless of course you have super tools and knowledge, then you would not have asked....the beer will be the same...dent or no dent....cheers!

Use it and enjoy the ugliness! Fixing that would be a big job, and it will never be pretty, unless of course you have super tools and knowledge, then you would not have asked....the beer will be the same...dent or no dent....cheers!

YES!
I will embrace the ugliness indeed. Thanks!

Got home from work today and started chopping the top.
Did I use a jig- NO
Did It come out perfect - NO

But then again it's the Ugly keggle, Although I freehanded it the final product is not too bad. I just couldn't get a jig going.

IMG_3579.jpg

cut looks good. And if anything, you could install the sight glass on the dent side. No need for an extension as you just "cleared" the bulge

cut looks good. And if anything, you could install the sight glass on the dent side. No need for an extension as you just "cleared" the bulge

LOL I had thought about that but then I thought I would "hide" the dent by installing the bulkhead on the opposite side.

It makes me feel better I guess. :cross:

Daver77 said:
Although I freehanded it the final product is not too bad. I just couldn't get a jig going.

The cut looks good. I read all the threads on making a jig, but when it came down to it, I just measured and marked from the center all around and then filled them in making a circle. Then I just took it easy cutting and it was not the big deal some make it out to be. It was so easy, it would've taken more time to put together a jig. I also only went through about 1/3 of a cutting disc and even less of a flap disc to smooth it out.
Good job, I hope the rest of it turns out great, and even if it's ugly it will still make great beer.

The dent is right in line with the bottom drain hole. You want to be between drain holes. That was a great cut on the top. Very good job.

I agree with leave it as is... that thing will be perfect when done! Dent and all, you will love it... I wouldn't even try to hide that dent.

Just got my Order from Brewhardware.com
Sight glass with 4in thermometer and weldless bulkhead.

Very happy, great quality and as always great service from Bobby. Started on the holes but will finish tomorrow because my step bit wasn't big enough. :p

Pictures coming soon. :mug:

Daver77 said:
Just got my Order from Brewhardware.com
Sight glass with 4in thermometer and weldless bulkhead.

Very happy, great quality and as always great service from Bobby. Started on the holes but will finish tomorrow because my step bit wasn't big enough. :p

Pictures coming soon. :mug:

I have that same kit on my HLT and BK and love them!

I left mine with the dent. Same keg.

Just make sure to order the correct sight glass setup.

Just testing it with some water. So far no leaks.

No that is not my brewstand it's just a shelf. So the little one (11gal) which was where I was doing 5 gal batches will not serve as my HLT.
IMG_3758_zps290aeddf.jpg

Just getting over the bulge
IMG_3755_zps45f202d0.jpg

If you're concerned with others seeing the dent, just hang your metal "FREE BEER" sign over it. They will never see the dent!!;)

Back