Finally made my wisdom saving throw.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aonghus

Reaction score
I was busy bottling up a beer today when it hit me. There is no need to use the bottling bucket as I have the Blickmann beer gun. For some dumb ass reason (probably due to drinking my own home brew), I only was using the beer gun to bottle up one or two bottles, from stuff I had force carbed in the keg, to share with friends. I had the thought, there must be a better way, and upon the completion of the thought, I realized I was a dumb ass. Simply rack to the keg and purge O2 and dry hop as usual for five days. Then pop the top and dump in the DME or table sugar solution and hook up the Beer Gun to the keg and start bottling. It helps to engage the brain and not just start doing stuff the way you always do it. I finally made my saving throw! Helps that I was not drinking this time around. I hope this helps at least one other person.

Cheers.

Aonghus.

How to you keep all your dry hop crud out of the bottles this way?? How do you keep the beer clear if you stir up the sediment when adding the priming solution? If you have the kegs and the beer gun why would you want to bottle all of it anyway. I would do only ones I need in bottles for sharing etc.

How to you keep all your dry hop crud out of the bottles this way?? How do you keep the beer clear if you stir up the sediment when adding the priming solution? If you have the kegs and the beer gun why would you want to bottle all of it anyway. I would do only ones I need in bottles for sharing etc.

Sorry, I missed a step, transfer to a 2nd keg to leave any trub behind (if needed, or just run off the first quart after it sits for a day, after adding the priming sugar). I do not get a lot of hops in the bottom of the keg as I use a hop bag tied with dental floss to the dip tube (not my idea, I saw it somewhere on this forum and it works great). And the only reason I bottle it is to share it with buddies. As I do not have a refrigerator for the keg, my 12 psi at 60 does not seem to carbonate the way it would at 40 degrees. So to improve the beer that I share, I sometimes bottle it. For my own use, I prefer slightly under carbonated beer and keep a heavy duty mug in the freezer to bring down the beer temp slightly.

Interesting. This is the first time I have ever heard of anyone that uses kegs without having some form of refrigeration. Maybe you need to experiment with more psi and/or longer time to see if it carbonates your 60 degree beer better.

I would still keg, then use the gun to fill carbonated beer to bottles only as needed.

Last batch I did, I put everything into the keg. I then just used a bottling wand stuffed into a picnic tap to bottle half of it using Fizz Drops for the bottles, then force carbed the rest in my keezer.

After doing this, I decided I'm never using a bottling bucket again, even if I'm not keeping any in a keg. I'll just transfer to a keg and use the CO2 to push it into the bottles. Tons faster.

Latest posts

Back