Finally made a beer I can't drink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bstacy1974

Reaction score
I was going for an English style IPA. Used a basic IPA grain bill for me, Pils, Munich, Carapils. No crystal malt, but about 8 oz of homemade medium invert sugar. Yeast was S-04.
For hops I bittered with Magnum, Willamette and US Goldings. Then more Willamette and Goldings at 10 mins. And a final week long dry hop of Willamette and Goldings.
After a week in the keg, on gas, I'm getting this overwhelming floral lavendar flavor thats kinda disgusting. I was going for an earthy, bitter profile, but the lavendar overpowers everything.
I couldn't put my finger on it at first, but then my wife used some lavendar oils to help with her sleep. Spot on for what I'm tasting.
In 10 years of brewing, I've had beers that were so so, but all of them have been drinkable. This is very close to being a dumper.
To try to salvage this batch, I just keg hopped an ounce of Cascade. Hoping the lavendar will fade long term and the Cascade will brighten the flavor in the short term. Fingers crossed.

yeah, i’ve has bad experiences with young beers at certain points. if it’s not trending better after another couple weeks then it might not ever be good.

On the other hand, crashing and storing for several weeks/months often lessens or even eliminates some overpowering hop flavors.

Back