Finally an AG success, but also a request for help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BugleBrew

Reaction score
So my sixth all grain, and I think I'm finally getting my system working for me. You can read about my last brew session, less than a smashing success, here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/5th-all-grain-process-help-99295/

I was shooting for 5 gallons but got closer to 6, probably 5.9, since I was undershooting my fermenter volume. This time I used a 5 gallon paint strainer bag (awesome) and just dumped everything in that was left in the pot. Based on my target volume of 5 gallons I only got 66%, but the overall efficiency was 79%. Considering I had a tough time getting above 60% before, this is a big win.

What I want help with is calculating my Mash and Lauter efficiencies so I can continue to tweak my process. I don't think brewsmith can do it, and searching hasn't led to much help.

Grain bill:
7.5 pounds 2-row
2 pounds flaked barley
1 pound black barley (I meant to get roasted barley, but got this by accident. Oh well, it's still going to be delicious.
1 pound chocolate malt.

Mashed with 3.5 gallons water.
1st runnings were 1.092 and 2 gallons
1st sparge of 2.5 gallons, 1.042
2nd sparge of 2.5 gallons, 1.020
gravity into boiler was 1.046 with 7 gallons (83% efficiency into boiler)
Final gravity was 1.051 and I got 5.9 gallons

Could someone calculate the mash and lauter efficiency? Or tell me where to go to figure out how to do it myself?

I changed three things this time that I think helped. I used a barley crusher to crush my grains. I ended up getting a stuck sparge, but still able to get my volumes (obviously).

I lautered very slowly.

I used a nylon bag to collect the hops, and then dumped everything into the fermenter.

Thanks all. Next time I know I can shoot for probably about 6.5 gallons into the boiler and end up with just a bit over five gallons. Woot for finally figuring stuff out.

Thanks to everyone who has answered my questions recently.:mug::ban::rockin:

Beersmith's label of "efficiency into the boiler" is actually mash + lauter efficiency. If that number 83% is accurate, then 1.051 at 5.9 gallons is 77% brewhouse. Good enough.

Back