Final Ph of a sour-mashed Kentucky Common?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zandrsn

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm going to be making my second attempt at a sour mashed Kentucky Common in a couple days and am trying to go about things a bit more scientifically this time.

Last time I brewed one I did a whole mash sour mash for 36 hours and ended up with a pleasant sourness, but a body that is much too thin for my liking (and I think for the style as well seeing as it is basically a dark cream ale).

This time I am thinking of either doing a whole mash sour mash for 24 hours or sour mashing 20% of the grist for 48-60 hours and adding it back with the sparge of the rest of the batch. Thoughts?

One thing I'm wondering about and can't seem to find an answer for is what the final ph of the beer should be. Judging from the ph of other sours and considering that a Kentucky common is only lightly soured (if at all) I'm thinking somewhere in the range of 4-4.4. What do you all think?

Any comments or suggestions about the process?

Cheers! :mug:

This is the right place for this question, you might want to delete your double post in the other area.

I can't help you much other than say that I just read an article on Kentucky Common, either in Zymurgy or Beer Advocate (can't remember which one) that did a break down that might help you out.

Yep, I read most of the articles out there about Kentucky Common's before I brewed my last one. Unfortunately there really isn't much info out there about this style, or about the final ph etc.

Regarding the other post, for some reason I don't have the option to the delete it when i click the edit/delete post button. Not sure how to get rid of it.

Latest posts

Back