final gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THEDIETZ

Reaction score
so my oktober fest had an OG of 1.053 which was right about where it should have been but my FG has been. 1.022 for the past 3 days but my target was 1.012 -1.015. what happened? I guess it will still be ok just less alcoholic? thanks for the help

Stuck fermentation. Chances are if you rouse the yeast off the bottom they'll come back to life.

Take a sanitized spoon and drag it across the bottom of the fermenter once or twice. No need to stir. You don't want to introduce oxygen into the brew.

Well I brewed this on Sept 28th and After my final gravity hit 1.022 for 3 days last week I racked it to my seconary thinking this might stir up the yeast but it hasn't. I unfortunely think it may be done. I was making this for a party this weekend, This is the first time I have had a problem like this!!

Aha, now we know the real problem, you racked too early. You should never rack your beer until fermentation is complete, the second stage is just for cleaning things up, not for actual fermentation. When you racked the beer you removed it from the majority of the yeast, thus stalling fermentation. Repitch some dry yeast and give it another week.

i thought the general rule was after you get a same gravity reading for 3 days racK? Since it was not at my final gravity target should I have tried to stir it up to reactivate the yeast???

i thought the general rule was after you get a same gravity reading for 3 days racK? Since it was not at my final gravity target should I have tried to stir it up to reactivate the yeast???

Exactly. When the gravity remained unchanged for several days but was still significantly above the target gravity, that would have been the time to do as Homebrewer_99 recommended and stir the yeast up, maybe bring the temp up slightly, to get the yeast going again in the primary. When you racked you lost the majority of the yeast.

The beer won't be ready for the weekend, but just repitch and let it ferment in the secondary vessel (if it's a 5 gallon vessel you may want to use a blow-off), once it's done forget about another stage and just bottle it.

so just buy another bottle of the same liquid yeast i used before and add it all? and once again...thanks for the replies!

Back