Final Gravity??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vulcan7864

Reaction score
Okay, I am still pretty new with homebrewing, but i love it. I just made my 2nd batch of beer which is going to be somewhat of a steam beer. I used S23 lager yeast, and i am fermenting at around 70 degrees, and i was told by a local brewery (Defiant Brewery) that this would come out great using this yeast at this temp.

Now time for the question... This is a new recipe, my OG read 1.040, i am not really sure what my FG reading should be. I want to know so i can put it into the secondary at the right time. Can anybody help me, is there anyway for me to figure out what my final gravity should be??

Thanks for the help

I'd forget about the secondary. List the ingredients and the yeast and it'll be easier to tell. Have you tried Beersmith, Promash or any of the other calculators....plug in your grain bill and your temps and it will give you close to where you'll end up. Good luck and have fun.

Not really any need to unless you need the primary to brew something else. Most homebrewers believe there are no ill effects, and several benefits, to an extended primary. Many use no secondary at all anymore. Everytime you rack your beer you risk infection and/or oxidation. If you don't need to...why rack it?

Lots of variables still...but you may get down to 1.005-1.010.

Best thing at this point would be to park it some where and forget about it...just keep the temps somewhat stable. In three weeks take a reading and bottle it. It will be what it will be. Should be a fine 4%-4.5% beer or so. Keep at it and keep it fun.

I rarely rack to secondary unless it's a big IIPA with lots of dry hops and some Belgians.
The waiting is the hardest part...but it gets easier. In the meantime read everything you can get your hands on. Good luck

FWIW...many of the beer calculators have free trials for a spell.

Back