final gravity screw up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fat.sam

Reaction score
Before I took my FG reading I added my bottle primer (dme 1 1/2 cups) to my beer. I then took my reading which was 1.022 with a OG of 1.057.

I was wondering how many points will the bottle primer add to my FG?

I am fairly sure that fermentation was complete. There was hardly any yeast settlement at the bottom of my secondary and my primary blew out my air lock twice. I brewed a 5 1/2 gallon batch and follow the 1-2-3 rule.

That's a fairly high FG for the starting gravity of 1.057. You should be looking closer to 1.012 - 1.014 unless you added a ton of unfermentables.

Priming sugar won't add to the FG. It's a tiny bit and will all ferment out.

Brewsmith said:
That's a fairly high FG for the starting gravity of 1.057. You should be looking closer to 1.012 - 1.014 unless you added a ton of unfermentables.

Priming sugar won't add to the FG. It's a tiny bit and will all ferment out.

I think he means that he added the priming sugar and then took the "FG". Of course, you should take the FG BEFORE adding the priming sugar and since he took it after, his "finishing gravity" is skewed by the addition of the DME and he wants to know by how much.

I'm guessing 1.5 cups of DME is somewhere around a half a pound? Check out whatever resource you've got and see how much DME is necessary to bump up the ABV by 1%. I'm guessing about a pound and a half or less? From there, you should be able to look on the side of your hydrometer and see how much the gravity changes with a 1% increase in potential alcohol. That should tell you how much to subtract. I think this info should be easy to track down. Sorry I don't have my texts handy...

1 1/2 cups of dme weighs a half-pound. according to pro-mash, a half pound of dme adds 5 points to the gravity. if you were 22 after, you were about 17 before.

Thanks guys. Yeah I know I should have taken FG before adding the prime but I forgot and figured I could count on you all to help me out.

I would assume that my count should be around .017.

thanks a lot

Latest posts

Back