final gravity reading question, doesn't make sense

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imnothardcore

Reaction score
Hey guys I use ibrewmaster 2 to brew and my pre boil gravity was 1.054, my gravity after boil was 1.061.

I should have a final gravity of 1.016 but I'm stuck at 1.022.

Its an IPA.

any suggestions whats going on?

Beer doesn't taste sweet at all, actually tastes ok.

why would this happen and what would cause this? what have I missed?

Actually, most IPAs with an OG of 1.061 would finish at more like 1.010-1.012.

There are a couple of things that can cause a high FG like underpitching of yeast, or using less fermentable ingredients in the recipe, but the first thing to do is double check your hydrometer in plain water and make sure it reads 1.000. If you're using a refractometer, toss it aside and grab an accurate hydrometer reading.

If you're 100% sure your hydrometer reading is accurate, the next thing to look at is recipe to see if the grainbill is the problem.

do you think if I mashed at too high of a temperature and made less fermentable sugars that could be part of the issue?

thanks!

I've had yeast "take a break" and then go back to finish out like they should too. Sometimes they wait until I've bottled it too. :mad:

I just had one that quit at 1.020 and stayed there for better than a week. I had mashed really high and thought it was done until the 3rd bottle exploded.

do you think if I mashed at too high of a temperature and made less fermentable sugars that could be part of the issue?

thanks!

Actually, yes, that's what I'm thinking. What temperature did you mash at? If you mashed at, say, 155F, I'd say the beer is done.

Actually, yes, that's what I'm thinking. What temperature did you mash at? If you mashed at, say, 155F, I'd say the beer is done.

yup, I think thats right where I was.

Interesting to see this in action, read about it and now get to witness the difference, lol.

I've had yeast "take a break" and then go back to finish out like they should too. Sometimes they wait until I've bottled it too. :mad:

I just had one that quit at 1.020 and stayed there for better than a week. I had mashed really high and thought it was done until the 3rd bottle exploded.

The exact fear factor I need. haha Now Im going to be so stressed bottling. Just moved it to secondary with the dry hops.

Mosaics mmmmmm how can you not love that aroma!

:mug:

Back