Final gravity for a porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taa800

Reaction score
I just transferred my porter from the primary to the secondary and when I took a reading, the gravity was 1.024. Does that seem high? I hadn't seen any signs of fermentation for a couple of days. My OG was 1.042. I had it in the primary for 7 days and I aerated it very well when I put it in the primary.

Thanks
Todd

1.024 seems a bit high for a beer that only started at 1.042. Was this an extract brew? Also, what yeast did you use and at what temp did you ferment at?

It was an extract kit from Midwest that had Munton's yeast. I added some additional grains to the kit. It was fermenting at about 70 degrees.

That is way too high for a beer starting at 1.042....basically 42% attenuation when you should be shooting for 70% or so. The yeast were probably still working when you transferred, but there hopefully will be enough in suspension to help it finish out.

Still working after a week and no bubbling in the fermentation lock?

Still working after a week and no bubbling in the fermentation lock?

Bubbling in the air lock isn't a reliable way to gauge activity, so make sure to take 3 gravity readings in a row (one per day). If it stays constant then I think that is a reliable indication that you can transfer.

So does it hurt if I'm just putting it in a secondary? Wouldn't it keep fermenting there?

My porter finished a 1.011 which is a little low but according to BTP 1.016 is about as high as you want. I've learned the best thing I can do with my beer is forget about it. I have to put iCal reminders in so that I know when it should go to the next stage and I never even look at it for the first 3 weeks.

To see what the FG should be for any given style, check out http://www.bjcp.org/stylecenter.php
Also check out the Muntons web site for details on their yeasts. They admit that their standard yeast is not suitable for fermenting brews where the fermentables are derived 100% from grains. They assume some simple sugars are added. The Muntons Gold yeast is suitable when all the fermentables are derived from grains or extract.
I also agree that you need to take hydrometer readings to determine when fermentation is complete. I don't think you need to take them every day, wait until it looks as if fermentation is finished (no active krausen, and no vigorous airlock activity), and then take a reading every 3 - 4 days. When you get two consecutive identical readings that are within the range for the style, then fermentation is complete. If the readings stop dropping, but they are out of range, you either have a stuck fermentation, bad ingredients, or a faulty recipe. That's where the guys and gals on this board can help to determine where the problem lies.
One other thing. I know it's difficult, but you don't want to advance to the next stage (racking to secondary, bottling, or kegging) as soon as fermentation is complete. It is better to leave it for at least 7 more days to allow the yeast to metabolize any undesirable off flavors produced during fermentation. i.e. Let the yeasts clean up after themselves.

-a.

I think it's interesting that a lot of people say to let things sit in the primary fermenter for a while. All the kit instructions say to transfer at a week. I think I may have to start listening to others instead of following the instructions.

I think it's interesting that a lot of people say to let things sit in the primary fermenter for a while. All the kit instructions say to transfer at a week. I think I may have to start listening to others instead of following the instructions.

Companies want to sell as much of their product as they can, so promising fast turnaround times and getting people to run back to the store after a week to buy another kit can make more money. Most people here just want to help others brew good tasting beer. :mug:

I just transferred my porter from the primary to the secondary and when I took a reading, the gravity was 1.024. Does that seem high? I hadn't seen any signs of fermentation for a couple of days. My OG was 1.042. I had it in the primary for 7 days and I aerated it very well when I put it in the primary.

Thanks
Todd

i'm having the same problem with my porter too it's been 10 days and is still at 1020

Realize I'm kicking up an old thread here, but I think I brewed the same kit as the OP. OG was 1.048, at a week I racked to secondary and added vanilla beans, gravity was about 1.020, maybe a touch more. Sat in secondary for three weeks, and bottled today at 1.018.

They'll be going into rubbermade totes in the basement to condition, in the event of bottle bombs.

A few quick tips:

1) an airlock is never a good indicator whether fermentation is complete or not. If I bottled after my airlock stopped showing activity, I'd bottle some of my beers after 5 days. Not good.

2) More time, within reason, is never a bad thing. For a porter I'd let that yeast work for three weeks. Most of my porters get racked into a secondary for further conditioning (and lots of times with toasted coconut or cherry pie filling). Our yeast friends need a little time sometimes.

3) If your gravity reading indicates there needs to be a little extra 'umph' to hit the finish line, give your primary a good swirl and up the temp a little bit to get those yeasties going again.

4) Consider moving away from kits and developing your own recipes, even it you're doing extracts. I'd much, much, much rather use Safale 04 or 05 vs. Munton's yeast.

Again, kicking up an old thread (but only a few weeks from last reply)

Edgar Allen Porter Extract Recipe

Important pieces -
OG 1.059
Ours - 1.05 (maybe, questionable due to water on top to top it off at end)
FG - 1.015
Ours - 1.018 (After 16 Days)

Weather was WAY too hot, not sure if that will matter. I know it made it taste very strong alcoholic taste/heat. That was expected.

Leave it for another week? FG just seems high but, judging by the posts here, sometimes they need more time than normal.

Got home and it had activity in the airlock... After almost three weeks. Guess I'll leave it

I'll register another vote for letting it sit. I have a chocolate porter in the fermenter. After 8 days SG was 1.030, which I knew was way too high, but it registered the same 3 days in a row. I put the fermenter on a heating pad and gave it a good swirl every morning. It's now been in the fermenter 26 days and I'm at 1.020. I may not get it as low as it would ideally be, but demonstrating some patience has saved it to an extent.

Back