Final Clearing a Cyser question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruger12pk

Reaction score
My first attempt at a Cyser is going beautifully at the moment. Im using Ken Schramms recipe "Fall Bounty Cyser" However, Ive noticed he mentions nothing about fining it or using sparkaloid for a clear end product...now this may be a silly question but since its my first cyser I thought Id ask if it needs clearing or if its a simple matter of taste or preference. I prefer a nice clear, bottled product in the end. Thoughts? Opinions on this?

Oh hell, its only a coupla days old..lol! its got a LONG way to go yet! yeah, I figured it would clear in time of course. For some reason I felt I should just toss this question out there....So basically, this should be a clear product and not cloudy like a cider?

Patience and laziness are heartily rewarded my friend.
Let it sit... If it is still cloudy in a year.. that may be a different discussion.

Apples are quite high in pectin.
Pectic enzyme before pitching yeast is also your friend....

Yeah, you know...Ive used pectic Enzyme plenty on my other melomels..but his recipe didnt call for it so I didnt use it...It was in my mind when I was mixing and it was hard to NOT use it when the recipe didnt call for it just prior to pitching my yeast...Well cloudy or clear im sure itll be good!

I've got a cinnamon cyser I don't think will ever clear (or would that be a metheglin).
4 months in and cloudy. But I think it fits the flavor.

Used some pectic enzyme in a cherry apple cyser and it's crystal clear after 2 months. But it is 16% rocketfuel and will be aging for quite a while anyway.

The problem is clearing takes a very long time. You choice is to leave it in the carboy for months or put it in bottles and live with sediment in the wine.

Nearly all of my meads are in boxes in the back room. The problem is many were made more then 3 years ago and other then a mark on the box or on the cork I really do now know what is in them.

As for the cloudiness it does effect the taste of the wine. But not appreciatively so. I use the newly bottled mead to demonstrate to people what it tastes like. What I find is that the people I give it to generally do not care. But it can give the mead a slightly bitter taste.

Also if you are having problems clearing your mead put it in a cool place. No do not refrigerate it, I am talking about in the 50'sF. The cold will help precipitate out much of what is going on. And lastly I can tell me be patient. It takes about 2 months between racking to clear it. When in doubt, wait.

Back