Filtration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a plate filter from time to time. I love the thing, but I hate cleaning kegs (filtering requires two cleaned and sanitized kegs), so I don't use it as often as I otherwise would.

I've used mine a few times with good results. When I got down to the last bit in the keg, I just turned the filter over and the canisters emptied out and the last remaining fluid is pushed out of the tubing. At most, I may have lost a cup full of beer.

i-VrgWCsr-L.jpg

I must admit too though, that the few beers that I've used Knox gelatine with was just about as clear as the beer coming out of that filter. But I'm still wondering if the 50 cents for a pack of Knox versus a 100 bucks for a filtering system only hurt my wallet. On the flip side, I can also use the filter to make sure I have good brewing water so it can be used for other purposes than just to filter beer.

i-ghKPMnc-L.jpg

If I had it to do over again, I'm not sure. I needed a good filter for my brewing water anyhow, so I guess I would.

I used to filter, but to me it was kind of a PITA and more trouble than it was worth. I haven't done it in a while. Not saying that it's not a good option for you, just that I'm lazy.

Instead of filtering, I now use the following steps to get clear beer:

1) Use Irish moss in the brew kettle
2) Chill wort quickly after boil
3) Whirlpool, allow trub to settle, siphon off of trub to fermenter
4) Extended primary fermentation (in lieu of secondary)
5) Cold crash for several days
6) Add gelatin finings, wait a few more days
7) Siphon to keg, lager/force carb/cold age for several weeks

It takes more time, but I don't mind waiting for good beer and for me it's easier than f****ing with a filtration setup and everything that entails.

I'll have to concur on that. It sounded so simple till you have to contend with the cleaning, purging, filtering, rinsing, back flushing, drying, storing etc. It makes the 5 seconds it takes to open a pack of Knox look - well easy. lol

I'll still use pull it from the toolbox when the need arises, but it only took a few batches to realize that it's just too much of a PITA to fool with it on every batch. Worse case, i'll turn the lights off and pretend I'm drinking clear beer. Lol

Back