Filtering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ytbrew

Reaction score
I've got 5) 1 gal. jugs of melomel to bottle. I'd like to filter it. Any suggestions on easy, effective, inexpensive way to do so? Thanks!

I've got 5) 1 gal. jugs of melomel to bottle. I'd like to filter it. Any suggestions on easy, effective, inexpensive way to do so? Thanks!
Depends on what you mean by filtering it.......

To be ready to filter it, it should basically already be clear and the filtering is just a final polish.....

Your main issue is gonna be that easy, effective and inexpensive don't usually go together, especially for home brew sized quanties.

The cheapest would be something like a harris type gravity filter. Anything more than the tiniest amount of residual sediment will clog the filter quickly so it can take a time to do if you haven't cleared it enough first.....

Next would be something like a mini-jet pump filter. It can be configured as just a pump or via a filter pad section. I've used 3 different grades of filter pad (not at the same time.....not sure if that's even feasible). The base liquid still needs to be reasonably clear before hand. You'd need to check local prices for the device and replacement filter pads.

I also have an enolmatic vacuum bottler with its matching filter housing. It's all really designed for bigger amounts but the bottler can be configured for bottling, vacuum racking or vacuum de-gassing.

The filter housing uses cartridge filter elements from about 20 microns down to about 0.25 microns. The filter housings can have the flow reversed to clean out and use the elements more often but you'd need more than one housing for more than one gauge at a time.

The biggest ones use an array of filter pads. Often many pads in one housing/pad holder so it's feasible to filter large amounts in one go...

Obviously the cost is in ascending order from the cheapest. You just have to work out what you want according to what's practical for the amount you have to filter and what's affordable.....

Most are already brilliantly clear. I would just like to avoid getting any solids that may get siphoned up into the bottles. Been waiting as the fruit is slowly starting to settle to the bottom.

Back