Filtering Idea....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caol

Reaction score
Hi again people!!

So last night i was using my syphon but before hand i fashioned a filter on the end.

In my first batch because i lost the sediment catcher, i had pretty large particles of yeast in the beer (lesson learned) so i decided last night to fashion a filter on to the end of my syphon hose. What i did was i took a 1 micron filter cloth cut in a square and covered the end of the hose, i then attached it with cable ties. It seems to have worked. What do you guys think of the idea.

The beauty is even though i clean and sterilise it i can still, if need be replace the material.

Can anyone see any reasons as to why i shouldnt do this when taking the beer from the Primary to the secondary (bottles)?

As long as it doesn't cause excessive splashing or get clogged up mid-racking, you should be fine.

Do it all the time.. I just use cut pieces of nylon paint strainer bags and plastic twist ties.. a way to not get clogged is to start close to the middle and as the beer level gets close, start dropping it a little lower as you get to the trub! :mug:

Thanks mate, i was thinking do, we have other micron cloth but it was so fine that it almost felt as if there werent any holes on it. I sort of avoided this at first as i have read here and there that if you take it too far down under 0.5um, that you can start to take nutrients away from your beer. Is this myth or what?

The nutrient's are the yeast, and yes!! 1 micron will do anout 80% of the yeast where as .5 Is 100%.. I use mine just so I don't have much yeast in my bottles cause I force carb in the keg and fill full batches of bottles with the beer gun.. :mug:

Wouldn't it be better to put the filter on the input, the bottom of the racking cane, rather than the output, the hose?

So will i get away with it if im using Carbonation pellets ?

I have racked my bottles and they have been in the fridge for about a week or so but there is still quite a bit of sediment, will that be the sugars i take it?

I put it on the mesh end into my fermenter ensuring that all the sediment stays in the fermenter.

Wouldn't it be better to put the filter on the input, the bottom of the racking cane, rather than the output, the hose?
I believe that is what he is doing already :)
So will i get away with it if im using Carbonation pellets ?

I have racked my bottles and they have been in the fridge for about a week or so but there is still quite a bit of sediment, will that be the sugars i take it?
Well, did you condition them for 2-3 weeks before putting in the fridge? You will have sediment anytime you bottle condition! !

was racking after dry hopping for 5 days and thought i would take sum pic's of my process and how i filter... hope it helps in the future for others to get an idea :mug:
a piece of a nylon bag folded wraped around about 5 times, twistied to my auto racker and racking into the keg!! works great!!

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

5.jpg

Thats awesome, yeah im bottling my next batch today. What would you suggest if im bottle conditioning i.e time to condition - then time untill you put in to the refrigerator?

That looks like a great idea on your part, ill use my supply of micron cloth untill it runs out then i think i may adopt your method.

Thats awesome, yeah im bottling my next batch today. What would you suggest if im bottle conditioning i.e time to condition - then time untill you put in to the refrigerator?

That looks like a great idea on your part, ill use my supply of micron cloth untill it runs out then i think i may adopt your method.
standard 3 weeks is fine.. when i was bottling i always took one and put it in the fridge at 2 weeks for a couple days just to see how it was coming along :mug:

Back