Filtering from brew kettle to primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kontreren

Gluten Free Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm totally manually so I just siphon but I really need to filter out more trub before going into the primary. I don't want a filter that will filter out all my taste, I'm not looking to filter gamma rays. Just looking for ideas as to how I can reduce the amount of trub that gets into my primary. Ideas about filtering that extend beyond afixing the racking can above the bottom rim on the kettle. Would copper mesh hydrolic filtering screen do the trick? Anyway what works for you all? :confused:

Have you tried to whirlpool?

Manually in the brew pot yes and it seems to just mix any settled trub back into the liquid rather than settle it on the bottom. Regardless of what I do I seem to have a lot of trub settle out in the primary after a few days. It is especially heavy on GF beer.

Siphontap, well worth the $10 to filter out trub and aerate at the same time.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=4240

Looks like Midwest is out, but I have seen it other places.

Looks like something I could use. I need that big filter looking thing on the end. I've got everything else in the pic (if it would fit a standard siphon). But I will look for one. That is probably what I've been looking for. Do you know if you can clean it and use it indefinitely or if you have to replace it after so many uses.

Looks like something I could use. I need that big filter looking thing on the end. I've got everything else in the pic (if it would fit a standard siphon). But I will look for one. That is probably what I've been looking for. Do you know if you can clean it and use it indefinitely or if you have to replace it after so many uses.

Just found it about bought it even cheaper at http://morebeer.com/

I don't know what you use for a kettle but I've always had good luck just dumping it in. I know you're looking for something more complex than this but if you pour correctly, I can leave almost all of the trub in the bottom of the kettle.

I pour it in the fermenter from pretty high up and at the same time this aerates the wort really well. If you pour the whole time without stopping, you won't get the sediment into the fermenter. (It's kind of like how you would pour a homebrew without getting the yeast in your glass. Just on a bigger scale:D.)

I think my wort goes in almost as clean as it would using a filter. It just takes a little practice and knowing how to pour it in. Obviously this doesn't work if you use a huge kettle or keggle.

I use a 5gal paint strainer bag (just like the ones used on the DIY hop bag) and i pull it over the bucket. Helps to aerate along with straining, and its super cheap.

I've had fantastic luck with whirlpooling and a stainless steel scrubber around the tip of my Autosiphon. I'm in the process of installing a ball valve on my kettle and will put one on the end of the dip tube.

You can reuse it many times and clean and sanitize it. It's very easy to use since it acts as an autosiphon as well.

I have had luck putting a plastic strainer over my bucket fermenter and just dumping the brew pot into the strainer. It aerates and separates the hops at the same time

combination of whirlpool and then I siphon into stainless steel mesh strainer whille its going into the carboy and that works great for me.

combination of whirlpool and then I siphon into stainless steel mesh strainer whille its going into the carboy and that works great for me.

That's what I do and I learned a few minor but very helpful things my last round.

Use a clip or something to secure the strainer to the fermenter. My strainer has a lip on it that is supposed to hold to the edge of the bucket but it invariably falls in. Keeps a hand free. Guess it wouldnt apply to a carboy/funnel

Use a clip to position and hold the discharge end of the siphon into the strainer. I've tried resting it in the strainer and let go to adjust somehting else and lost some wort onto my floor. Keeps a hand free.

Use one of those rubber spatula/bowl scraper things to keep your strainer clear. Have a waste bowl nearby or just mound the gunk up on one side of the strainer

whirlpool and let sit for at least 10 minutes. This was the biggest thing I was doing wrong in the past insofar as getting a whirlpool to work

Have something ready to reliably prop up and tilt your kettle to get that last bit of liquid out. Also position and secure your autosiphon intake beforehand to the low side of the kettle. Use the rubber spatula to keep the gunk away from the intake for that last bit.

Seem like small little no-brainer things but my last brew trying to transfor solo not so much. Wish I had thought of them beforehand. Beats sponging wort off of the floor before domicile command arrives on the scene or having your strainer full of gunk fall into the fermenter and having to fish it out with your ass-scratching hand

Beats sponging wort off of the floor before domicile command arrives on the scene or having your strainer full of gunk fall into the fermenter and having to fish it out with your ass-scratching hand

:mug:

And you know that as soon as you spilled Domicile Comand would be right on sight.

Back