filtered water brewing salts needed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

payton34

Reaction score
i built a water filter using a whole house filter from instructions on this forum.i used to buy bottled drinking water and my beer was good . i don't know if my filter is removing more minerals than the bottled watercompany removes. should i add gypsum? i do brew a lot of ipas and other hoppy beers

Most regular filters don't remove minerals as much as they do organic compounds like chlorine or sediment. Minerals usually take a more complex process to remove like distillation or reverse osmosis.

Most brewers that use distilled or RO water need to add minerals back so you should be OK with just filtered water! If not, try brewing a batch with and one without gypsum and compare! Couldn't hurt!

Just my opinion! Good luck!

thanks for the help i wasn't sureabout the filter. it is cold an rainy here today and my mind started to wander towards my brewing.

I started witha brita pitcher style filter and now use a Pur filter on the faucet and have never added salts. No issues yet!

I did add salts to my last batch. The guy at my LHBS mentioned that it helps with the PH from the mash tun. Didn't seem to hurt anything.

Back