Filter wort entering fermenter - Stainless Mesh

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunter306

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So I have a 15gal e-herms setup (click the link in the sig below if you wanna see) and I'm curious about a potential process change I'm considering.

My first efforts resulted in a lot of crude hop sediment and cold-break in the fermenters which is negatively affecting the beer clearing. My thought is to pick up one of these 6x14" 300Micron steel mesh screens:

AIH Product Link: http://www.homebrewing.org/Stainless-Hop-Filter-6-x-14--300-micron-mesh-_p_3181.html#

Then use this process:

1) Wort out of the boil Boil kettle through the hop stopper...
2) into the Counterflow Chiller then
3) hose running the chilled wort Through the 300micron filter hanging in the top of the fermenter

Any concerns (other than sanitizing the filter, which I would be submersing in the boil!) that I should be aware of?

I'm really hoping that I can significantly reduce the amount of gunk this go around if this plan seems sound.

You could also hang that in your kettle and add hop additions inside of it. That's what most people do.

Thanks, the plan was to use it for double duty, boil and cold-break. I may be overthinking the cold-break though once use it to capture hop gunk during boil the other may be reduced.

Thanks for the thoughts, I picked it up yesterday night :mug:

Back