Filter/Hose Woes, need some assistance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pash91

Reaction score
I followed the guide on the forum to build this water filter. Unfortunately, I think Whirlpool has discontinued the filter used in that thread. I found an "equivalent part" at filtersfast.com; however, when I installed the filter, it seemed to be restricting flow and pushing all the water back out the "in" side. It came with 2 O-rings on either side, I removed one and now it seems to work, no problem.

Here's the problem: the water tastes like rubber hose. I got this hose from Amazon, actually I got 2, but haven't opened the second one yet (needed it to go longer). It says it's for potable water. I just did a personal taste test as well as a blind taste test on my girlfriend with tap water, water straight from the spigot, and water through the filter (just after the hose tasted about the same as through the filter). She rated tap water first, then spigot, then hose water last (equivalent to what I thought). I actually thought the water coming straight from the spigot wasn't much worse.

Has anyone had any experience with this hose? Should I replace it with a different one? Does it need to be treated with some love before it doesn't taste like garden hose anymore (the exact description I got from her about the flavor)?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Which filter did you purchase at filterfast? It should be a double-open-end cartridge.

fLFaRQlX-wrHdOc1CwWgA2W-jwQoWC9xwFmw_TF8Wr9cKaItY8oMqjU4zm7qaE7RtRjEhaajEpph6o8wwXmrbCmHgQdsP3HjmEgFFlPWN_CiR5mS1v6wSU9kWpN0YLvnzZD4-29kRWf_LIoBImSmUr2KRcVRTi_t4iO2rmpD0lEp=s90-c

The hose should be made from food-grade vinyl. You can purchase potable water hoses at Walmart (automotive), Lowes, or Home Depot.

Well, that's incredibly disappointing. Additionally, neither my HD or Walmart carry RV hoses, so I'll have to order it online and delay my brew day, such is life

neither my HD or Walmart carry RV hoses, so I'll have to order it online

Sorry to hear that.

If your tap water doesn't taste good and you're unable to filter it (at the present), do you have access to RO water? RO water + a small addition of calcium chloride works well for most beer styles.

I had actually overnighted this hose from amazon. It worked splendidly especially after turning down the flow. I'm currently brewing having used it and hoping it all goes well.

As a sidenote, Amazon Customer Service was amazing. They took back the hose I had ordered the day before as well as the one I had ordered April 11th.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back