filling secondary w/ co2 before racking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt3989

Reaction score
Alright, so I've never used a secondary before, but I've got a stout I'm planning on aging over some chocolate and cherries. I know people do this all the time without problems, but I've also heard the biggest risk (after good sanitation procedures) is oxidation. Has anyone used a co2 bottle and a regulator set pretty low to fill up a secondary with co2 and force most of the oxygen out before you racked into it? Does it help? Since i already have everything I'd need i would think it'd be easy enough.

If you have the gear, I would mos def do it. Seems simple enough, though I don't know if it's necessary.

When I racked my mead, I got some dry ice at the store, dropped it in, racked on top of it. Still waiting to find out how it turned out.

A friend of mine uses one of those silicone carboy caps. Then sticks a racking cane attached to tubing and connected to the regulator in the top hole of the cap. Then he puts his finger over the other hole. He lets it build a bit of pressure and when he releases it... poof. He gets a cloud of white C02. For me that's a bit overkill since CO2 is heavier than oxygen. I just added an adapter to my CO2 line, spray CO2 into the carboy for about 30 seconds and rack to the bottom. The CO2 will be at the bottom and the O2 will be forced out of the top.

scoundrel said:
A friend of mine uses one of those silicone carboy caps. Then sticks a racking cane attached to tubing and connected to the regulator in the top hole of the cap. Then he puts his finger over the other hole. He lets it build a bit of pressure and when he releases it... poof. He gets a cloud of white C02. For me that's a bit overkill since CO2 is heavier than oxygen. I just added an adapter to my CO2 line, spray CO2 into the carboy for about 30 seconds and rack to the bottom. The CO2 will be at the bottom and the O2 will be forced out of the top.

That's exactly what i was planning on doing. Just fill it up from the bottom and let it force the o2 out, then I'd have a co2 barrier on the over my beer when i racked.

Thanks for the responses guys, i just wanted to know if people were doing this, and if they saw any benefits.

If you aren't using food grade co2, then at least make sure you are using a filter. Otherwise, I would be worried about an infection.

If you aren't using food grade co2, then at least make sure you are using a filter. Otherwise, I would be worried about an infection.

What bacteria are going to be growing in pure CO2? What are they eating? What are they breathing?

What's to stop food grade CO2 from having bacteria?

As an aside... I always rack to secondary, and never purge with CO2 (not that it's a bad idea). I left an imperial nut brown ale in secondary for four months after a four week primary... no issues at all.

dues0009 said:

I was going to use a beverage co2 tank from a kegerator, so that's already food grade.

But since you're not actually carbing the beer with the gas, just using it as a buffer, i would think it wouldn't be any more risky using industrial co2 than just having unpurified regular air sitting on your beer. But i could be way wrong on that.

What bacteria are going to be growing in pure CO2? What are they eating? What are they breathing?

What's to stop food grade CO2 from having bacteria?

As an aside... I always rack to secondary, and never purge with CO2 (not that it's a bad idea). I left an imperial nut brown ale in secondary for four months after a four week primary... no issues at all.

Agreed. "Food grade" CO2? Seems like a gimick to make people spend more money.

Agreed. "Food grade" CO2? Seems like a gimick to make people spend more money.

Agreed.
Nothing is going to live in that atmosphere. I have to think it's more about non-living contaminates like trace dusts and oils.
Meh, I use welding gas.

To the OP, I use a 20-30 second burst at about 10psi. All you really need is a C02 blanket.

Back